Prince Andrew

I held my dress up, enough not to trip on it as I hurried out of my room. The hallway was busy with servants going to and fro. There was obvious tension in the air. I held my breath as I got closer to the throne room.

I could hear father speaking to the warriors. I leaned against the heavy door once I got close enough and placed my ear on it trying to listen to what they were saying.

Father was telling them about the festival celebration that was to be held. They didn't reply to that, so father went on offering them rooms to live in the castle and be comfortable for some time. And then someone else finally spoke

" That will not be necessary"

I shivered at the sound. It was very masculine, deep. I swallowed down my own saliva as the hairs on my back stood up.

" I insist, I insist, you have all been busy at the battlefield. You've been serving this kingdom greatly. Please accept my offer and allow others serve you. At least for a while" Father said trying to convince them.

' Why did father want them to stay so badly?' I thought. Perhaps trying to show his appreciation for their great effort over the years.

There was silence
" At least, do it for your men. I believe they need the rest" Father said persuasively and again there was silence.

After about ten seconds, that voice came again.
" We wouldn't stay for long"

I smiled. That was definitely the general's voice. It was powerful. They were going to stay and for some reason, I wanted them to stay.

" Excellent! excellent! The servants will show you to your rooms. I've also prepared a feast for you and your men. Please.. make yourselves comfortable" Father announced happily.

After a short while, I heard footsteps coming towards the door and I quickly ran away and hid myself.

I watched them as they left. Their footsteps were heavy and again I couldn't catch the general's face. All I got was the side profile of some of the warriors.

* * *

That same night, I went to peek at the warriors while they feasted but the general wasn't with them. I felt disappointed.

Did he think we'd poison him? Or was he that exhausted? I wouldn't blame him if he was. I went back to my room, I had managed to look at almost all the faces of the warriors without them knowing, but I got bored.

They were good looking men, but  nothing too special. I laid on my bed and closed my eyes.

* * * *

   Light shone on my face. I frowned and slowly opened my eyes to see Isidore walking from the window towards me.
" It's morning my princess" she said. I slowly sat up " Good morning" I greeted and I stepped down the bed.

" It's quite late already. The emperor wants you at the dinning for breakfast" she reported. I glanced at her.   " Let me guess, prince Andrew is still in the castle"

She nodded " My princess. Prince Andrew is a fine and responsible man. You are also a beautiful and intelligent lady. Besides you are ripe for marriage, I think you should give him a chance" Isidore said.

" Not you too, he's not the type of man I want to get married to" I said as I walked towards the mirror on the wall.

" Then what type of man does my princess like?" Isidore asked. I paused in thoughts. To be honest, I didn't know, I turned around to look at Isidore
" I don't know, but definitely it isn't prince Andrew" I said.

Isidore did not comment further. She prepared a dress for me and I took my bath myself like I've always done. I didn't want anybody else's hands on me.

I got dressed and Isidore helped me with my corset and my hair. I knew I wasted alot of time, but it was deliberate. Maybe prince Andrew would get tired and leave.

However to my disapiontment, when I got to the dinning hall. He was still seated, eating. Dad sat at the head of the dinning.

" Dad" I greeted with a smile as I bowed my head slightly.
" Ah.... Odeth... Come here my child" Dad called. I walked to him. I could sense Andrew's eyes on me but I ignored him completely.

" You look beautiful this morning my child" Dad praised and I smiled widely.
" And you dad, you're the most handsome man that has ever lived upon earth" I praised. He responded with a laugh and I laughed along.

" Have a seat my dear" he offered and I sat by him.
" Prince Andrew has been waiting for you Odeth. What a gentle man he is" Father said to me.
   I slowly turned my head to Andrew and he smiled at me, I returned the smile.

" Good morning princess" Andrew greeted
" Morning prince Andrew, how is the food?" I asked having nothing else to say. At first, he was silent but then spoke.
" It's very nice. I must admit, Velander has great cooks" he praised and I gave him a tight smile before turning back to father.

" Father" I whispered to him.
" Yes dear?" He answered.
" The festival would be happening tonight right?" I asked wanting to confirm
" Oh yes. I have managed to get general War to agree to it. He was supposed to join us for breakfast but he insisted on dinning with his men" Father said.

I nodded. I served myself and started eating. Dad and prince Andrew later walked out of the dinning hall discussing.

I couldn't wait for night fall. I wanted to be able to meet the general. I would finally get to see what he looked like. I smiled as I chewed on my food. I remembered the power in his voice. From the little glimpse of him I've been able to see that he had tanned skin. Of cause, he must be out in the sun often.

________________

Hope you like this one too

Please.... Vote & Comment