The scent

It was already dark when we arrived at the palace. We walked on foot. The warriors were tired but knew not to act like weaklings in front of me.

We entered the castle premises,there were servants at each side creating a part towards the castle entrance, all their heads bowed low. We walked through and entered the castle, immediately heading for the throne room.

I knew my way around the palace. My men tailed behind me,  I was impatient, I wanted to know why the emperor wanted us here.

There was a faint smell in the air that if not for my sharp sense of smell, I wouldn't catch on to it. However, every place had it's own smell, so I brushed it off. We got to the throne room not long and the emperor, Raymond was seated on the throne.

On seeing us, he stood up to welcome us. I wanted nothing but for this to be over with.

The emperor tells us, he had arranged a party for the whole kingdom. I pulled my eyebrows together in annoyance. It was irrelevant to celebrate, but I remained silent as he kept on talking about how much he's planned for it.

I decided not to comment on it, he had already gotten everything prepared after all. While he kept talking, I felt the air shift, it made me restless. We were just coming back from a battle so why was I getting restless all-over? I looked towards the door behind us, but looked back at the emperor when he started talking about preparing rooms for us in the castle to stay for a while.

" That wouldn't be necessary" I spoke. Although distracted by the scent earlier, which seemed to have slightly thickened, it made me alert. Why was a scent affecting me?

The emperor kept insisting on staying. I looked at my men. I could tell they wanted to accept the offer. Maybe I should allow them a little rest. I knew my body was built different, I was way bigger than everyone of them, and my drive was on a different level. They were tired.

" We wouldn't stay for long" I stated and noticed the way my warriors relaxed. Emperor Raymond seemed happy as well. I quickly turned around and walked out of the throne room. I crinkled my nose as the scent outside the throne room was stronger.

It was a pleasant smell but I ignored it as I followed the servants who were leading us to our supposed rooms. They ran seeing that I took long strides.

   Once I got into the room said to be mine and closed the door. That beautiful scent hit me in waves, I took a deep inhale of it. I had never smelt anything like it before. It smelt too good for my liking.

Although it made me restless before, now it seemed to be soothing and relaxing. I wondered if this was some kind of scent to drug me, but then, it could just be a really good scent. I tried not to think about it.

Maybe I was the one overthinking it, since I was used to the smell of the forest, blood, mountains and dead bodies. I walk into the bathroom and sat in the bathtub for a short while.

The scent wasn't in the bathroom and it slightly annoyed me. Once I was done washing up, I prepared to rest, as I laid on the bed, I was sure the bed was the source of the scent as it was the strongest in the bed.

I hummed in satisfaction. I felt all my angry nerves relax. I couldn't get myself to get up to join the feast the emperor prepared. Not after laying in this heavenly scented bed.

I had smelt so many good scents but nothing smelt this good. I soon found myself quickly drifting off to sleep.

* * *

     My eyes opened to see that it was morning. I sat up at once, with a frown. I had slept so peacefully and my regular hunting nightmare did not show up this night. It had never missed a night before, or was I just imagining it? Definitely not. I was sure I didn't have a nightmare. I knew how I usually felt every morning, and it wasn't the way I felt right now.

* Knock knock *

I looked at the door in annoyance, whoever it was should better have a good reason for distracting my thoughts.
" Speak" I ordered and a trembling voice spoke from outside the door
" The, the emperor, invites you to dine with him" it was a man's voice

" I'll dine with my men" I replied in a tune that left no room for further conversation. The person walked away. My mind quickly going back to what I was thinking about . I tried to dismiss it from my mind, definitely there's a first time for everything, but my nightmares not appearing was disturbing, I had gotten so used to it already.

They kept me going, they  kept me angry. But I was quite relaxed this morning.

   I left the room and easily found the room where breakfast was served for me and my men. I walked in and they all fell silent. Once I was seated, their talking resumed. They talked happily amongst themselves and undisturbed. I couldn't help but wonder if they also experienced the scent or it was just me due to my high senses.

    Later that night, I found myself  in my room basking in the sweet scent, although it wasn't as strong as before, it was slowly fading away.

The scent was sweet, intoxicating, yet addictive. I sighed, I never wanted to be a part of this stupid party. There was no reason to celebrate, this was just an obvious excuse to waste resources.

I only agreed to this because my warriors wanted it. I've been a cruel leader, not like I cared what they thought of me, but the least I could do was allow them have a little unrequired fun.

I got dressed in one of my war attires. A loosed pant/ trouser and black boots, daggers were hidden by the side of the boot, just in case. Thankfully the emperor was wise enough to separate us from the villagers.

I didn't want anyone testing my patience, cause I wouldn't hesitate to rip heads off bodies. Although I've felt calmer recently  due to that strange scent, but it was already fading off which also angered me. So, I couldn't promise anyone's safety. No doubts the party had started a while ago.

I walked out of my room and entered the hallway. Heading for the back doors, but I stopped. I could hear footsteps from afar, not too far away tho. I shouldn't care, people move about in the castle, but I found myself turning around and going to the direction the sound came from.

_______________________

Okay, I just want to know if you guys like Elias's Pov

Also, please.......

Vote & Comment