The celebration

It was night finally, I was excited, I sat in my room facing the mirror while Isidore stood behind me brushing my hair. She has been in the castle since I was an infant. She was the closest thing to a friend.

She was a teenager when I was still very young. I told her almost everything and she never told anyone else.
" Isidore?" I called " Yes princess?" She answered, her eyes meeting mine in the mirror.

I had told her so many times to address me by my name but she refused, so I let her be.
" What do you think about the warriors?" I asked.
" My princess, I do not understand your question" She replied, now putting my hair in a bun using pins to make it higher.

" Aren't you curious about them? Like.... The general, don't you want to get to see what he actually looks like?" I asked hoping she'd be as curious as I was. At first she was silent.

" I believe it was made law that no one should look at the faces of the warriors for a reason. I cannot allow my curiosity put me in trouble" Isidore said calmly. I sighed and turned around to face her, making her stop what she was doing on my hair. I looked up at her.

" But the whole kingdom will be celebrating together with the warriors today. How would their faces not be seen?" I asked.
" Do you think the villagers would be able to celebrate if the warriors are with them?" She asked.

I drew my eyebrows together in confusion.
" I don't understand" I said
" The warriors would not be at same place where the villagers would be celebrating. You my princess would be with the villagers to keep you safe. Your father would be there too, while the warriors would be somewhere else. Your father, the emperor has done this to keep the people safe and comfortable" she explained.

I turned back to the mirror with a frown allowing Isidore to continue working on my hair.
" But they are celebrating the warriors, this isn't necessary" I complained
" Well... We are celebrating our victory. We are also celebrating the warriors, but the general is quick to anger and doesn't really care about anyone or any law. So it's best him and his men are somewhere else, so the villagers do not get him angry" She explained further.

I nodded in understanding, however that would not stop me from seeing the general's face. I've always been stubborn since I was a child. I'll just have to find out where the warriors would be.

* * *

It was now midnight. Father had addressed the villagers and everyone seemed happy. There were many bonfires. Villagers danced around in joy and sang.

They drank and ate. Children ran around carefree. Women spoke between themselves. We were all happy and safe, thanks to general War and his men.

    I stood, both hands holding up my gown. It was a beautiful blue dress, off shoulder with very tight Netty sleeves. It hugged my sides, but was flared from my waist down, coverings my legs. A golden necklace rested on my chest, a small golden earring. I had a thin bracelet around my wrist and my hair in a high bun while two strands of hair fell by the sides of my face.

I had light make-up on. I looked around waiting for the perfect time to sneak out. Dad was talking to some men. I saw prince Andrew standing some feet away holding a wine glass in his hand as he stared at me.

I looked away ' What was he starring at?' I thought to myself. I knew he wouldn't be looking away anytime soon and I wasn't about to let him stop my mission.
   I turned around, heading towards the castle. I had no idea where the warriors were, but if they weren't here. They had to be somewhere else in the castle.

I thought of taking Isidore with me but I knew she'd stop me from going so I didn't bring her along. I walked into the castle, I doubted they were in the castle but yet I kept going. I climbed up the stairs, the palace seemed quiet.

I took slow and quiet steps in the hallway. The lights were dim. I looked behind to make sure no one was following me. And when I turned around, I collided into something hard. Before I could balance myself I fell flat on my butt. I looked up at the huge figure standing in front of me.

My heartbeat quickened. I couldn't make out a face but I knew it was a person, a really huge person. This must be one of the warriors.

" Who. Who are you?" I stuttered. Fear overwhelming me. Whoever it was did not reply to me. It annoyed me.
" I.. I'm. My name is Odeth and I am the daughter of the emperor" I announced loudly, hoping if this warrior had any plans of hurting me, he wouldn't after knowing this.

He hummed, the sound deep and strong. I inhaled as I felt goosebumps line my skin.

He stretched his hand towards me. I looked at the hand, hesitating. His hand looked large. I glanced up at the man whose face was still unknown. I slowly placed my left hand in his and quickly realizing his hand was bigger than I thought.

He wrapped his hand around mine, his hand was warm. He pulled me up to stand on my feet effortlessly, making me feel like I weighed nothing.

I craned my head to look at this huge man. I wasn't a short girl. I was 5'6, yet this man towered over me greatly. He had to be up to 7 feet or more. His body was also wide.

" Who are you?" I asked again frightened. He stepped forward and I took one step back. Although I wanted to show him I was brave, I couldn't. There was this heavy aura coming from him that screamed power, danger, authority.

I kept stepping backward as he came closer. " I am the princess" I stated trying to sound firm but my voice failed me. I sounded like I was begging.

__________________________

Okay okay. Now let me know your thoughts.

Vote & Comment
"