Chapter 16- Keeping Your Cool

"How's it looking, Kkura?" Chaeyeon asks as she watches a beaker filled with Jirisan Spring Water being heated up in front of her.

"I haven't found anything unusual yet. It just looks like nutrient infused water." Sakura replies while looking at some charts on her computer.

"How is this supposed to be the key to the androids' new powers..." The younger girl wonders out loud. They had to figure out as much as they could by tomorrow but were no closer than they were when they started.

"I asked Chaewon if she saw anything in Michelle's memories that could be useful, but she said Michelle was only contacted via phone. She never met up with KYB physically." Sakura says back, referring to how Chaewon had finally combined back with her evil clone and fully became herself again. Sakura and Eunbi had been hoping she'd gain some big information, but no luck.

"The only thing we know right now is that Yujin can't control the water. There has to be something in it that's preventing her from manipulating it."

"Hmm, Yujin did say she managed to control oil before just because she sensed water in it. Maybe the drink has something that hides the water molecules? Chaeyeon guesses. "Actually, sorry, that sounds a bit silly."

"No, all hypotheses must be considered when handling something we don't understand. Who knows, I might have tunnel vision again." Sakura replies with a sarcastic laugh.

"Yah, Kkura. It's okay. No one's mad at you for what you did anymore." Chaeyeon says, sensing her girlfriend's mood dropping.

"Are you sure about that? I'd still be upset with me if I were you girls. They might just be good at pretending." Of course, Sakura believed that some people like Chaeyeon and Hyewon had forgiven her, but it wouldn't be a surprise to her either if some of the others were only staying on good terms with her because they had a common enemy. Sakura had betrayed the group's trust not once, but twice. She'd then let her curiosity in the androids lead her to creating blueprints for her own that were also stolen. Now, she was on Le Sserafim as well, and it was only a matter of time before she disappointed-

"Sakura. Hello? Sakura, snap out of it!" Chaeyeon says while snapping her own fingers in front of her face. It was like the tech-girl had gotten too lost in thought.

"Oh, s-sorry, Chaeyeon." Sakura replies, trying to regain composure.

"Listen, we've all been through a lot with each other. It's going to take a lot more to break our bond as a team, as a family." Chaeyeon says in a serious tone. "I can tell you've been trying your best to make up for your mistakes, and that's all that matters to me."

"But you're my girlfriend. Of course, you'd be biased." Sakura comments.

"I promise that everyone still loves you, Kkura. You'll see. Life isn't just black and white, or ones and zeroes. You have to learn to forgive yourself." Chaeyeon replies before leaning in and hugging the Japanese girl. "I know it's hard, but you gotta trust me. We're more than just teammates."

"Thanks for the reassurance, Chaeyeon. I'll try my best." Sakura says, trying for a smile. On the inside though, doubts still whispered in her mind.

You think that after this is over, they'll still want to hang around you? One voice says.

You don't even know how to stop those androids when you helped program them! Says another.

You'll always be an outsider...

"There's the smile I love." Chaeyeon chuckles, not noticing the way Sakura's expression goes back to neutral once she turns around to go back to work.

For Sakura, the only way to redeem herself was still to fix this mess.