Chapter 17- Walking on Eggshells

"Is this thing safe...?" Yuri asks when the gondola lowers to them with Sakura on it.

"It should be, but maybe only two at a time just to be safe." The Japanese girl says before she hears a knock coming from the glass behind them. It was Song Hayoung.

"Hey, the cameras turned right now, get inside soon!" She whispers after opening the window. Slowly but surely, Hayoung helps lift them up one by one.

"Thanks, you know where we're going, right?" Chaeyeon asks while Yena zaps the security cameras in their vicinity. That would buy them some time to move freely until they rebooted.

"Mhm, the surveillance room. I checked the map, and it should be a couple halls down." Hayoung replies pointing to their west. Chaeyeon nods just as her comm device buzzes.

"Must be Eunbi-unnie. Gimme a sec." She says, answering the call and giving Eunbi an update.

"She and Hyewon-unnie have met up with Saerom now. They're heading towards the ballroom."

"We better get a move on then." Yena says. Before they could make it far though, Hayoung raises her fist, a sign to stop.

"Someone's coming. Hide." She says, hearing the sound of voices coming in their direction. The others do as instructed and dive into the closest open room.

"Hayoung-unnie? What're you doing all the way over here?" The voice of a woman while shining a flashlight in her direction.

"Ah, it's nothing, Jiheon! Just a bit of exploring is all." Hayoung replies, trying to act casual. Jiheon didn't look convinced though.

"Unnie, I know you. You wouldn't be up here without a reason. The party's downstairs after all." The younger girl says before continuing. "You and Saerom-unnie usually have a knack for uncovering mystery cases, so is this one of them? Did KYB do something wrong?"

Hayoung seems to freeze for a second, considering her next words very carefully before replying again.

"Fine, you got me. Just investigating some gadgets they've been developing." It was the truth, but not the entire truth. "Saerom and I just wanted to do some initial digging before bringing it up with Captain Hwang."

"Oh, can I help then? It's sooo boring standing around doing nothing." Jiheon whines.

"I don't know. You might get into trouble if we get caught." Hayoung says, but Jiheon doesn't budge.

"Come on, unnieee. I promise I'll be fine."

"Okay, okay. Just don't tell Hwang about any of this until we're sure there's something. I'll take the westside while you check the rooms on the eastside. Got it?" The older girl finally relents.

"Alright! I won't let you down, unnie!" Jiheon says with a puppy smile before heading back the way she came from. When she's finally out of sight, Hayoung knocks on the door where Sakura's team was hiding.

"Why didn't you just let her come with us?" Chaeyeon asks curiously, having heard bits and pieces of the conversation. Something about that girl kind of reminded her of Yujin, but she quickly brushes it off.

"She and the others don't know that we're mutants yet..." The police officer mumbles quietly.

"You're afraid they'll turn on you two if they find out?" Sakura guesses to which Hayoung slowly nods. The others wanted to say something supportive but weren't exactly sure they'd be helping. It wasn't like they had many fond memories of revealing to regular people that they were mutants. After a few seconds of silence though, it was Yuri who finally decided to speak up.