Chapter 20- Truth Unveiled

"Lee Saerom. Can you please explain to me what happened here?" Officer Hwang asks Fromis' leader once he arrives at the scene. The ballroom was in shambles, stray flames burning and ice shards impaled into the walls.

"Uh, you see, sir... I was actually stationed outside when the commotion began. With all the guests running out, I couldn't get in to see what happened until now when it was over." Saerom replies with a neutral expression.

"So, you didn't see anything strange? I heard reports of mutants being present. Is this true?" Hwang asks again, but Saerom only shakes her head.

"The only thing of interest when I showed up was that robot there." Saerom says, pointing at the remains of KYB's android. Her teammates stay quiet as per their leader's request. Saerom had promised to explain everything later, and they decided to trust her.

"Hmm, we'll have a team to clean this place up soon. If anyone asks, there were no robots, just a rogue mutant attack. You understand? I just have a feeling this is related to one of those PD campus girls." These words cause Saerom's eyes to widen for a second. If it wasn't clear that he was working with KYB before, it was now.

"Sure... sir. By the way, I recently got a new phone. Can I borrow yours to put in my new number?" Saerom suddenly asks.

"Huh, you did? Wh-" Jiwon interjects before Hayoung covers her mouth.

"Oh, you didn't know? She just got it today. You must've forgotten, silly." The older girl says, trying to get her message across to the others with her tone.

"Ahh, of course. My bad, unnie. You know I don't have the best memory." Jiwon says with a laugh she hoped didn't sound forced.

"Alright... here you go then." Hwang says while taking out his phone and handing it over, a bit confused by that whole interaction.

The second the device came into contact with Saerom' hand, a voice began to fill her head. It sounded like a phone call, which meant she could only hear one side.

~~~~

Yes, sir? Hwang's voice asks.

....

Ah, right away. No, I don't know how the mutants caught wind of the auction tonight.

....

What? But sir, are you sure they'll be ready by then-

....

Okay, sir. I'll have the preparations made by the end of the week.

....

Yes, I understand the importance. It's just that I'm worried about the civilians who migh-

....

Apologies. I spoke out of line. Have a good evening, sir. When the call cuts off, Hwang shoves his phone back in his pocket. He began muttering some more things, but it was all muffled. Saerom could only make out a couple words.

Androids... Spread out... Attack...

~~~~

"Saerom-ssi. Are you alright?" Hwang asks when Saerom froze for a second.

"Ah, my bad, sir. I was just trying to remember my new number. Here you go." Saerom says after snapping out of her trance, typing in some random number before handing the phone back over.

"I'll see you all back in the station tomorrow then." Hwang says before giving a salute that the Fromis squad returns. And with that, he was on his way out.