Chapter 28- Home

"Took you girls long enough! We almost started the party without you!" Yunjin teases as the IZ*ONE members finally stepped out of the bus that had transported them back to campus.

"What's all of this?" Eunbi replies in a surprised tone, seeing all the people who had gathered for their arrival. From their old allies like Gaeun, Goeun and ITZY, new ones from Fromis, IVE and Le Sserafim, to some newer faces that were likely members of Nayoung and Dahyun's groups, this was probably the largest gathering of mutants the group has seen since the first day on campus. Even Jurina was standing on the side, watching from the shadows.

"We just wanted to prepare a little 'heroes' welcome'." Gaeul says with a shrug. "We were on the ropes when all of a sudden, the androids just deactivated. Your handiwork, I assume?"

"Heh, you can all thank Sakura for that." Yena says with a proud smile.

"Where is Sakura-unnie, actually?" Eunchae asks, not seeing her older team member.

At this, the sound of shuffling begins echoing from inside the bus until the Japanese girl gingerly steps out, arm linked with Chaeyeon's.

There was some stunned silence from the crowd; Sakura expected as much given her new appearance. What she didn't expect though was the loud applause and cheers erupting a few seconds later.

"See, you didn't need to be afraid of anything." Chaeyeon smiled as she whispered in Sakura's ear.

"You all did your parts too by holding on to give us time. It couldn't have been easy." The Japanese girl replies shyly, trying to play down the praise, but it wasn't going to happen. As the group made their way to the dorms to freshen up, they got many compliments and congratulatory pats on the back.

~~~~

About an hour later, everyone decided to gather in the campus' auditorium for a big debriefing. When the campus principal, Lee Seunggi, stepped out on stage, Eunbi could immediately see the tiredness in his eyes. As much work as they did on the frontlines, she knew Seunggi was doing as much behind the scenes working with the government while also managing the campus.

"I want to start this off by thanking everyone for their help in the recent battle. I have just gotten word that the android attack was finally connected back to Kim Yong-bum, and all of his businesses are now going to be put under investigation." Seunggi announces, much to the delight of the crowd. Though there was a sentiment within the IZ*ONE members that some government officials were just trying to wash their hands from their involvement in this whole mess, they were relieved that at the very least, KYB would finally be getting his comeuppance, although post-mortem.

"This was a team effort." Seunggi continued. "The campus may have many capable agents, but it would be remiss for me to not acknowledge the special aid given to us by AKB, Fromis, I.O.I, ITZY, and TWICE. One of the easiest things to do in situations like these is to run and hide, but you all showed great bravery, jumping into the fray for the sake of mutants around the world."

"There is still a lot more work to do, and with that, I have one more announcement to make. As much as I want to continue my role here, I believe the campus needs a new leader that can be here more often. I will still always be connected to here, but the upcoming months require me to be in contact with government parties more often. Just know that I will always be fighting for you all in my discussions with them." These words surprise everyone. Seunggi's last replacement, Ahn Joon-young, wasn't exactly the nicest guy after all. Eunbi was now deep in thought, thinking that maybe trainer Bae Yoon-jung or Lee Hongki could be good successors. That's when her eyes met Seunggi's gaze, and she knew what his next words would be.

"I know my announcement may give you all some level of apprehension, but do not worry. I already have someone in mind who I know can lead you all into the future... Kwon Eunbi!"