Chapter 2

The phone rang only a thousand times. Valarie ran out of the bathroom and hurriedly wrapped herself in her towel. The water dripping from her skin pooled around her feet.

"Gosh it's seven in the morning. What could possibly be so important?" she grumbled.

"Hello?" she spoke aggressively into the phone.

"Hello good morning. May I speak to Ms. Valarie Lauryn please?"

"This is she" Valarie responded.

"Oh great! This is Mrs. Lane Austin from RBC bank. We've noticed that some of your checks bounced. Also, you have not yet paid off your loan and some utility bills have not yet been cleared. We'll need you to come in as soon as possible to rectify this."

Valarie furrowed her brows.

"Wait that's not my account. Well I know my name is on it but my aunt was really sick and she couldn't come in at the time to make the account so she asked me to just make it on my name for her. All the responsibility is on her not me."

"Well I'm sorry ma'am but the account is on your name therefore you are going to have to come in to clear this up."

Valarie ran her hands through her hair and sighed.

"Fine, I'll come in" she said then hung up.

"You've got to be kidding me" she muttered. She dialed in her aunt's number and called.

"Valarie!" her aunt greeted.

"Hi aunty."

"How are you? What brought you to call this early?"

"I'm okay...Well just a little worried. The bank called this morning and said that your cheques bounced and you didn't pay your loan and bills. How could that be true? Didn't you tell me that you cleared all your debts when you were paid your resignation money? How can they say that it's not cleared?"

Silence filled the air. There was no response. Valarie waited a few more moments.

"Are you there?" she called.

"Um yes, I'm here" she responded softly.

"The loan, bills, money? Why did the bank call?"

"That's not my problem. It's your account."

"What? I just made the account for you because you couldn't but it's not my account. You are the one that took the loan and it was your responsibility to pay it back. What did you do with all your money?"

"As I pleased" she responded.

"It's not my account, it's yours so the problem is between you and the bank, not me!" She hung up the phone.

"Hello? Hello?"

Valarie checked her phone to see that the call had ended. She furrowed her brows and called again. This time there was no answer.

"You have got to be freaking kidding me! She didn't just-"she paced the floor in frustration.

"What the hell am I going to do? How dare she? There better be some misunderstanding here because I am not in a position to pay back any loan or pay anymore bills! I need to sort this shit out."

Valarie called and asked her boss permission to pay the bank a visit before work. It was no less than a nightmare. She walked unsteadily out of the bank like she would fall any minute. The conclusion? She had three months to pay the bank back thirty thousand dollars. Thirty thousand dollars! How on earth was she going to do that? With the job she had, it would probably take her a year to clear it off.