Chapter 27

Kyle had spent the rest of time being both cat and mouse. Somehow his skills had managed to sift all of Valarie's designs over to Ashley to be made. Valarie, still oblivious to what was happening still had her foot cemented in her decision to not put any of her designs in the show. She had planned on walking with popcorn to see the work or scheme that Ashley would display this time.

It was only a few hours to the show and the preparation game was on. No earthquake in history could compare to the magnitude at which Kyle's body was trembling. He had never been so nervous in his life. If Dimitri's plan turn out to be successful, Ashley will get what she deserves and Valarie will get all the credit in the world for the work she had done. However, if his plan was to fail, all hell will break lose and Valarie will never trust any of them again. If tonight is a replay of what happened at the last show, she may take the ultimate decision to leave the company once and for all.

Dimitri had invited Kyle over for a quick meeting in his office before the show started. They were recapping the run down of the plans.

"Just remain calm and stick to the plan and everything will be fine. Now i need to hear it from you. Do you have it under control?" Dimitri peered down at Kyle with concern.

"Mmmhmm" Kyle managed.

"Mmmhmm? Kyle, tell me that you can handle this. Think about Valarie. We are doing it for her. This time the joke is not going to be on her and she will have the last laugh at the end. Now can you do this for Valarie or not?"

"Yes. I can do this okay? I just have to try to avoid her until we pull it off because she is definitely going to know that something is up." Kyle feebly stood up from the chair. "I better get going. I want to ensure that the little witch stays put. She have been on cloud nine ever since we got the designs made."

"Ahh yes. Go keep her in check. We can do this...We have to...I'll meet you there."

Kyle left the room with wobbly feet. He had put on his best suit for he had all intentions of being the master of ceremonies tonight. He was going to slay.

To find one word to describe Valarie's mood was going to be difficult. For some reason, her heart was pounding against her chest and threatening to leap out. Maybe anxiety was consuming her. Not knowing how the outcome of the night would be was dwelling on her. She stared back at herself in the mirror and tried to find composure. Her lips were a bold red as if they were kissed by a vampire who had just claimed its prey. Her eyes, two moons of mystery surrounded by a blanket of smoke. Valarie took a deep breath before walking out into the living room where Jake was awaiting her.

Jake's jaw pried open and remained in that parted position. Valarie's figure showed wickedly under her dress.

"Wow! You look stunning!" he exclaimed.

Her lips quirked up into a smile and her cheeks flushed a warm red. "Thank you. You look like quite a charm yourself."

He smirked "I made sure that my Dimitri defenses were on strong tonight."

"Jake!"she laughed.

"What? Did you not see the look on his face the last time I paid a visit. I'll remind him every time that if he doesn't sweep you off your feet, another guy will."

"But there is no need for that. Dimitri and I have nothing."

"Oh really? Tell me now why would you agree to continue working with him...and without pay?"

"Because I just-"

"You just?" he prompted.

"I just thought that I would do his father a favor okay. I owe him-"