Chapter 35

His feet felt like stepping out from lava and into ice when he arrived at home. Dimitri couldn't be more relieved. The last few hours were a blur to him but here he was, lying on his own bed, feeling like champion, for he had defeated yet another witch. He felt proud of himself for being able to refuse a woman who so desperately wanted him.

He sunk into his comforting mattress with his clothes half way off. A hot shower might help relieve his aching muscles but only Valarie could relieve the pain in his chest. He hadn't informed her about the time he was coming back since his father had changed his flight to a later time. Dimitri decided to pay her a visit after his shower.

With a stomach churning knots and doing summersaults, Dimitri drove at a slow pace to Valarie's apartment. For some reason, he was more nervous than he had ever been in a very long time. This was the first time that they were about to have a solid conversation after the incident between them. He walked with shallow breaths towards her door. He was barely breathing.

After two solid knocks on the door and a short wait, Valarie opened. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped to see him standing in front of her. Her hair was wild snakes draping around her face. Sweat pants fell lazily off her hips and her tank top hugged her upper torso.

"Dimitri?" her eyes fluttered.

A smile played across his face. "Hi!"

"You didn't tell me when you were getting back."

"I know. I wanted to surprise you."

"Well you could have at least given me warning. I look like crap."

He scanned her from head to toe. "No, you don't. Even in your most natural state, you are still beautiful."

She blushed and stepped aside for him to enter. They both sat on the love sofa and stared at each other for a moment in silence."

"So...How was your trip?" Valarie questioned.

"It was...okay..."

Her brows furrowed. "Just okay? Did something happen or not happen?"

"Ahh, I just didn't want to be there and I'm glad that it's over. Let's not talk about that for now."

"Hmm" she sighed.

"I believe we have unfinished business."

"Yes. We do. I forgot who is owing who an apology though."

"I think that you are."

"Oh hell no. I am not the one who flipped out for no reason, then disappeared off to I have no idea where and left without fixing things without actual kisses." Valarie quarreled.

Dimitri chuckled. "I thought you didn't know who was owing the apology?"

"Oops I suddenly remembered" she grinned. "Women never forget things. You should remember that."

"What dangerous creatures you are."

"Men are dogs and carnivorous wolves. They claw into your world, eat your heart out and then leave. "

Dimitri frowned and looked at her quizzically. "Is that what you think of me?"

"It's what I think of all men until they proved differently."

"Hmm well it's really unfortunate that you think so. How I see it, you do more damage to me than I do to you. Before, I was a man of no feelings. I didn't give a shit about anything in the world. Now I can't get you out of my mind. I can't stop thinking about you. I feel horrible if or when I hurt you. I stop smiling when I don't see you smile and I smile every time you do. I don't know what you do to me Valarie or how you do it but it drives me crazy when I can't have you or when I can't feel you. Quite frankly now I get annoyed when other women try to pursue me because I have absolutely no interest in them."