Chapter 13

Valarie sat awkwardly in her chair. All eyes were glued to her and she knew that they awaited an explanation.

"I'm so very sorry. I wasn't feeling so well. It's probably because I didn't eat all day and my stomach is uneasy."

"Aww it's okay dear. Are you feeling better now?"

"Yes I am. Thank you." Valarie smiled.

Nikolai lowered his head to her. "Why haven't you eaten?"

"Um..I- I just didn't feel to" she responded softly.

His eyebrows knitted and continued to stare at her. "You have to eat Valarie. I need you healthy. I don't know what we will do without you back at the office."

"Aww I'm as healthy as can be." She patted him on the shoulder and smiled.

Mr. Carson fired up the conversation again.

"So when are you going to launch the new line in Fashion?"

"I think my son can answer to that" Nikolai's lit up as he turned to Dimitri.

"It's well on the way. We have about half of the designs done already. The line should be completed hmm say next two weeks or so. You'll be the first to be invited."

"Oh that's wonderful" Ms. Carson exclaimed. "Our daughter is very fond of your clothing and she is beyond excited for the next launch.

"I believe Valarie is one of the main designers too. She's very talented. Fits well in all areas" Nikolai boasted.

"Oh no, no. I'm not so great" she defended.

"Oh don't be so modest dear. He told us about you from since the first day you started working with him and you are yet to disappoint him."

"Aww thank you. I just try my best at all things. Every job or task I'm given, my only goal is to succeed at it."

"You see why I am so grateful to have you work for me Valarie?" Nikolai smiled at her kindly and sank back into conversation with his counter parts.

From then everything was a blur to Valarie. Voices drowned in the distance as it would sound if she was underwater. Her mind started a war with itself. Should she finish what she was about to tell Dimitri or should she hold her tongue? She didn't like Adrianna at all and would kick her out the door any second but the unfortunate thing was the relationship wasn't about her. Dimitri seemed to be sticking it out pretty well so far so why should she ruin it because she was not fond of the woman he chose.

On the other hand, she felt like she was obligated to tell him what she knew. The woman that was currently in line for marriage with him was a cheater and a hardcore liar. Even if he would accept those flaws, his father definitely would not have approved.

She could feel his eyes peering at her from across the table but she dare not look at him. She couldn't. It only brought back the late memory and it disgusted her immensely. Time crawled like a snail. It had all intent to torture her. She couldn't be more relieved when the meeting was called to an end.

Reality brought her back to ground level. She bid the hosts farewell and readied herself to return home. Nikolai pulled her aside and spoke in secret.

"Valarie I know I promised to drop you back home but my friend needs a lift. I don't want to leave him here behind. I'm hoping you don't have a problem if my son take you home. I already asked and he agreed."

Her inner voice prayed to the god of lightning to strike her down that very moment. If she had a choice, she would turn down the offer and walk her way home but there was not a doubt that Nikolai would find it suspicious.