Chapter 19

The faint sound of chirping birds tickled the back of her ears. Her senses becoming gradually aware of the surroundings. Her eyes rolled against their thin blanket until they pushed the doors fully opened to let light in. Nothing in sight seemed familiar.

Blood stained wood replaced the white gypsum ceiling, a warm peach replaced her blue walls. That sudden feeling of displacement caused her mouth to go dry instantly. Her heart increasingly pounding upon her chest. She rolled her eyes downwards to look upon herself. A grey silk sheet tucked neatly beneath her. Valarie slowly began to peel the cover from her body to reveal a white shirt that drowned her frail body. The overwhelming sense that she was being watched consumed her and she looked up to confirm what she had felt.

Two hazel brown eyes stared at her. Like a reflex action, her hand clutched onto the cover and pulled it back over her again.

"No, no no. Don't be afraid" the man tried to calm her.

"W-Who are you? And where am I?" Valerie questioned.

"I am Jake. We met last night. You were broken so I took you home. My home."

She tried to search her memory but there was only a bare record of last night. Jake walked towards the bed, his torso bare and a grey sweat pants hanging sicking fron his hip. Valarie swallowed a lump in her throat as he sat on the bed next to her. He tucked a stray piece of hair at behind her ears and she held her breath. On a different day she would have already beaten him to a pulp and ran out of there but she was too weak to even sit up properly at this point.

"Last night..." Jake spoke.

"I was driving my car and minding my own business when this little lady suddenly ran in front of my car. I was forced to hit the brakes or she would have been dead by now. With her hands on my bumper to brace the impact, her eyes caught mine through the windshield. It was like the entire ocean dwelled in her eyes. The banks broke like a river on a stormy day. She was sad and she was frightened. This sad soul continued to cross the road and disappear into the crowd. For some reason I just had the urge to find her so I parked my car in the closest park available and crossed the street to where I last saw her. I knew she still had to be around somewhere. I popped in a bar for a quick drink when finding her seemed hopeless and it was like the Gods had guided me there. This little lady told me everything and she poured half of the ocean on my shoulder. Maybe the alcohol was helping her fight the pain but she drank too much. When I was ready to leave, she was too distraught to be left alone in the cold night so I took her home. I took care of her and put her to bed.

Valarie willed herself to sit up. Her head was throbbing with pain and she placed her palm on her forehead.

"Ahh easy there" Jake held her for support to sit up."

Her tongue rolled in her mouth for words to say but she couldn't quite find any. She held onto the shirt that covered her body. "Is- Is this yours?" she questioned. Jake noticed her hands moving over the fabric of his shirt. "Yes it is. Yours was drenched in vomit so I had to change it for you."

"Wait what? You changed it yourself? Valarie asked in horror.

"Yes and I saw you little butt" Jake joked while standing up. "Ughhh nooo!" Valarie squirmed and pulled the cover over her face. He laughed and walked over to a table near the bed. He picked up a glass of water and two pills from it then walked back to Valarie. "Here take this."

"What is that?" Valarie asked with her head still buried under the cover. "Pain killers for your headache." "And how do I know that you are telling the truth and it's not some crazy drug to kill me or something?" "Because if I wanted to kill you, you would have been already been dead. Now take these" he said, a trace of sternness in his voice.