Chapter 16 pt 1

Nikolai had finally gotten some alone time with his son. He was eager to find out if he had made any progress at all since Valarie's last update. They settled on the balcony overlooking the beautiful expanse of the cityscape. Glass raised to mouth and the smooth burn of whiskey simultaneously slid down their throats.

"Son."

"Yes dad?"

"How are you coping with things at work?"

Dimitri's right eyebrow shifted up into a perfect arc.

"How am I... coping?" he questioned, placing much emphasis on the last word.

A small smile played across Nikolai's face.

"How do you like working at the office?" he corrected.

"It's pretty good. I don't have any complaints about the position I am in there."

"And what about Valarie?"

Dimitri paused. "What about her?"

Nikolai chuckled. "How are you getting along with her?"

He swallowed a lump in his throat as the last memory of her flickered back. The memory he had to erase completely like the event had never occurred.

"Good I guess. I'm still growing onto her but I no longer want to tear my skin out when I'm around her."

"Haha. Yes I know she can be a bit of a challenge sometimes but she is the best you can find in just about everything. What about your life outside of work? Is it still as exciting as before?"

"If you are asking if I still go playing around then no. I'm actually interested in someone at the moment."

"Is it the same girl that you brought to dinner the last time?"

"No dad. It isn't her."

"Oh why? What happened?" Nikolai questioned.

"She said some things about mom that I didn't like."

"What? What did she say about your mother?"

"Just stuff dad. Can we drop this now? I said I'm interested in someone."

The irritation was clear in his voice and Nikolai knew it was the right moment to go down a different part. "Sorry" he apologized and took another sip of whiskey.

"Oh dad I'm thinking of getting another assistant" Dimitri opted quickly for a change in topic.

His wise brows knitted. "To replace Valarie?"

"No not to replace her but to work with her rather. It's one of the new interns, Ashely. She is very fond of the company and I could use someone with the load of enthusiasm around me now. The launch of the next fashion line is nearing and she has the exact vibes I need now to ensure I walk the path of success. Besides that, she is daring, fun and have great ideas to offer."

Nikolai's hand raised up to scratch his chin. "Ohh. Valarie isn't fun enough?"

Dimitri's eyebrows knitted into confusion. "Um, no she isn't. She is a nun dad. Great worker but not fun at all."

"Wait, why did you even ask about Valarie?"

He hesitated. "I just wanted to make sure there was a balance between the fun and work. You can proceed."

Dimitri took another sip of his drink and about three more after that. The less he said, the better it would be to prevent the wrong things from coming out so he opted to keep his mouth occupied with other things.