Chapter 39

T'was the day before the wedding and not all was well. For one like Valarie stayed curled up in bed. Most people dreamt of waking up from this dream but the Chase's tactics seemed to be too clean. Only time would tell if their game plan would slip or maybe someone they had wrapped around their fingers would trip. Would someone be the hero and save the day? One would just have to read to find out they say.

Dimitri left with his parents for rehearsal after being forced to. Why prepare for something you did not want to be a part of? He was most annoyed and the idea of leaving Valarie behind sickened him. Leanna had told her parents that she would prefer if Valarie did not tag along since it was a personal time for them.

Poor Valarie, left all alone to fend for herself in the house of mystery. Kyle was supposed to touch down later that day and she could not wait for him to arrive. She would finally have somebody on her side and someone to comfort her. She walked down the hall to the guest bathroom to shower since the one in hers ran out of hot water.

Her head was throbbing, she walked down the hall massaging her forehead.

"Are you okay dear?" Mr. Pepper questioned. John had sent him back home to pick up some decorations.

"Ugh! Yes, just my head hurts so much!" she replied.

"Ahh! There is a medicine cabinet in the bathroom. You should find some pain killers there. Be sure to read the labels on each of them before you take your pick. Who knows, you might find the answer you are looking for. You will know what I mean when you see it."

With that he walked off. Valarie stood for a moment in confusion. What exactly had he meant? Maybe it was just his way of talking? She shrugged her shoulders and continued on her way. Valarie opened the medicine cabinet and shifted her eyes over the pill bottles. She started picking them up one by one to read the labels.

"Advil, Ibuprofen, Valium, Panadol..." she murmured while going through the list.

She had gone through all the bottles and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. They were all common pills that she was quite aware of. Perhaps Pepper just had a weird way of talking after all. She tiptoed to pull down the Advil bottle from the top shelf to pop one in. As she stumbled to keep her balance, her hand slid across the row of bottles and accidently knocked down a few.

"Dammit!" she said, scolding her clumsy self.

A few of the bottles crashed into the floor and rolled around. She picked them up and read them over to ensure that she had not missed out on them from before. All were ones she had already checked. Valarie pulled across a box she spotted in the corner to climb up on it so that she could easily reach the top shelf. As she was repacking the bottles, she noticed a piece of plastic sticking over the edge. She pulled it out completely to discover that it was a packet of pills.

She flipped it over on the other side to read the label.

"Roffy" she read and snorted.

"What sort of name is that?" she laughed. It sounded like a cute pet name for a dog.

She had not heard of it before and the strange olive green colour attracted her. Her boredom had caused her to act like a child. Valarie took one of the pills out and popped it in her pocket to show Kyle her new discovery when he arrived. She placed the packet back where she had found it and took a long shower to ease her mind.

Rehearsals seemed to take forever. Valarie had spent the entire day in the house by herself in misery. Mr. Osbourne called in a few times to check on her but each time she lied and told him that she was okay.