2

The Shelby family had settled into life after the return of the boys, Charlotte had returned to her childhood home alongside her brother Jordan, who wasn't taking the death of his mother well in the slightest, as expected. After a few months he moved out of their childhood home claiming it reminded him of his mother to much. Tommy and Charlotte had been practically inseparable since his return, only separating when tommy went off for work in the day, and only for him to return back to her in the evening. However charlotte had noticed a change in tommy, he didn't laugh as much as he used to not that he had lost his sense of humour but almost because he couldn't, he smiled alot less and charlotte found he only ever smiled in her company. She didn't notice it as much when it was just the two of them but it was undeniably noticeable around anyone else, almost as if the "old" tommy was only around with her.

As the days progressed, lottie had found herself extremely bored throughout her days, constantly checking the time for Tommy's arrival back home. The pair sat in a comfortable silence in her living room, the only sound being the crackles of the fire. Her legs layed over Tommy's lap his hand caressing her lower thigh, as he read the paper and she read her book, however reading her book would be a lie, really she sat their deep in her thoughts reading the same line, over and over again. "Tommy" "Hm?" he replied not lifting his head from the paper. "I think i want to get my job back at the garrison" only then did he lift his head sending her a questioning look. "Why?" "There's only so much i can do with my days tom, i just want to fill some time" "I've already told you, you don't need to work lottie, you know that?" "I do tommy, but i want to, will be nice to have different company is all". Aswell as the Shelby's Charlotte had a best-friend named Millie Winters growing up, they were like sisters to say the least, As much as she adored the shelby's it was nice for lottie to have female company, however during the war Millie moved with her mother to live in the countryside after the death of her father, and well unfortunately Charlotte doesn't hear from her much anymore aswell as business picking up for the shelby's, she doesn't see them all day everyday as she used to. "Look i know you would rather me not working there tom, but it was fine before the war." "Lotts that was before" Charlotte half scoffed in reply "Before what tom? i'll be fine"
Tommy simply looked at her before reluctantly replying "Alright, If it'll make you happy" Charlotte smiled before leaning over giving him a kiss, with a small giggle. "thank you i love youu" Tommy smiled at her excitement before returning the kiss he wasn't happy she pulled away from. "I love you too."

The next morning, Charlotte waltzed into the garrison with a small smile on her face. "Hello Harry" "Lotts" he replied with a nod of his head. "So i was wondering" she spoke before she was quickly interrupted "Yes." she laughed before amusingly replying "Yes what harry? you don't know what i'm going to ask of you" she playfully replied knowing exactly what he was referring to. "Yes you can have ya job back, these blokes have been running bloody rings around me, won't be doing that with a Shelby girl by my side." Charlotte amused,shot back "so your using me" harry smiled at the girls banter "well yes, if you like". Charlotte had always liked harry had always got along with him also, he was a kind man who just simply enjoyed what he does. "Well okay, when can i start?" "Now, if ye can footballs on today place will be packed." "fine by me hazza" she once again playfully replied " i thought i told you to stop calling me that" to which charlotte only laughed in reply to.

Later on Charlotte was serving a man before turning her back to grab a bottle of whiskey, whilst doing so the pub fell into deep silence meaning Lottie was well aware as to who walked in. "Lottie girl! What you doing back in this shithole" Charlotte laughed in response"Shut up John, it's his pub" charlotte gestured towards harry who was busy serving the excitable crowd. Arthur followed in soon after, "Lottieee Tommy's stolen you from us" Charlotte genuinely smiled at the man's playful banter"Arthur you know i don't have favourites" to which john half scoffed in reply to,
"Well lottie your my bestmate and i haven't seen ya for two days" "Ohh johnny boy i send my apologises" earning a round of laughter from the  the pair. "oh lotts family meeting later 8 o'clock, tell harry you'll have to finish early" "okay arthurtots" she chuckled,a nickname they had for arthur when they were younger, although no one can remember why. "Stop calling me that" arthur's voice died out as he walked into the snug and shut the door. Causing lottie to laugh under her breath,turning her attention towards the bustling crowd. "Right what can i get ya" she smiled "Whiskey please, Mrs Shelby" charlotte didn't bother to correct him only turning round and pouring his drink with a smile on her face.

The family sat in the betting shop later on that day, Lottie was sat next to ada chatting about all the stuff they've missed in the two days of not seeing each-other, which as you could imagine was not a lot at all. The boys only laugh in amusement at the girls who had become increasingly close the years they were away, Charlotte glanced up at tommy who was leant against the wall in-front of her as he sent an effortless wink her way, trying to ignore the butterflies in her tummy she turned her attention back to ada. "You two make me sick" Lottie laughed "okay, should i tell them about Freddie" charlotte replied in a hushed tone to which ada gasped at before looking around to see if anyone had heard, they hadn't but of course she's paranoid. Ada sent a playful glare her way before turning to Arthur who had began speaking. "Right i've called this family meeting because i have some very important news,scudboat and lovelock got back from belfast last night they were in a pub on the shanquil road and in that pub there was a copper, handing out these." passing something to ada which john quickly snatched out her hand "if your over five feet and can fight, come to birmingham" "Their recruiting irishmen to come over here" "To do what?" "To clean up the city,ada" tommy replied turning all attention towards him before explaining what he reckons to be the inspector's motives. "But he'll leave us alone,this copper?" charlotte questioned "They say catholic men who used to cross him disappeared in the night" before charlotte could reply john cut her off "we're peaky blinders, we're not scared of bloody coppers! If they come for us we'll cut them a smile each" "What do you think aunt pol?"
"This family does everything open, you have nothing more to add to this meeting,Thomas?" "nothing that's woman's business" This whole bloody enterprise was woman's business while you boys were away,what's changed?"
"we came back" causing a scoff to leave charlotte's mouth.

As the night progressed, charlotte and tommy lay in bed, legs intertwined and lottie on his chest listening to his heart beat as her mind swirled. " i enjoyed today tom, think harry's glad to have me back" she giggled "oh yeah?" tommy replied but showed no interest, lottie sighed sitting up. "What's on your mind,Tommy?" tommy took a deep breath, before meeting her slightly concerned gaze "Guns" "Guns are on my bloody mind" charlotte only laughed, a minuscule frown on her face. "Guns? you what tommy" when she saw not an inkling of a smile on his face her face dropped "Oh bloody ell tom, your being serious ain't you"
"i've had some luck and guns have fallen on me lap, bargaining power is all it is" to which she only scoffed "And tell me tommy have these guns got anything to do with this inspector"
"I'm not sure as of yet"
"Oh for fucks sake tommy" tommy sighed, lighting a smoke. "you mustn't say a word lottie, you'll have to trust me" defeated she sighed and layed back down "when do i not,you better know what your doing tommy" "i do" "but if it comes to it, do the right thing"
"lotts, it's me and you eh? it'll always be bloody me and you i'm choosing to tell you this because i love and trust you more then any of them fuckers, you hear me?" he assured,caressing her cheek "and you tell that danny that kept eyeing you up in the pub today,that your tommy shelbys girl and if it carries on he'll have no eyes to look at you with." charlotte couldn't help the smile that come to her face "oh tommy what do you do to me" to which he hoarsely laughed pulling her towards him.

ahh i hope you guys are liking so far<3