19

Tommy watched slightly in awe as Charlotte descended towards him and his brothers who all happened to be wearing the same expression on their face. A mix of apprehension and pride.Of course they weren't yet accustomed to the public attention she receives, and watching her try to politely and subtly shoo away fans who invaded the distance between herself and the shelby's only opened their eyes to the legacy she held even more. Successfully deconstructing the crowd between them, Charlotte glanced around quickly before throwing herself into Johns arm smiling at the scent of home he carried.
"look at you eh, knew you'd do it" john spoke into her hair as he widely smiled, basking in the small moment with his best-friend "i've missed you" Charlotte sighed,retracting from his arms and checking him over. "you look well" she added, a genuine smile on her.
Before John could utter a word, strong hands pulled her into him.
"missed you too, old man" she chuckled, as a hearty laughed left him.
"Where the fuck 'ave you been dolly?"
dolly,something the boys had always called her during the years of their childhood ,although it only seemed to be Arthur who continued the nickname, it held a special place in her heart.
Of course, Tommy had noticed the minuscule flash of emotional nostalgia consume her face before she lightly smiled. "Been conquering the world arth" she joked in an attempt to lighten the now sad atmosphere,however everyone was holding their own sadness even if they all refused to let it show. The sorrowful atmosphere had now morphed into a rather tense one as all attention fell onto the only brother she hadn't greeted, tommy. Swallowing thickly, she turnt her attention towards him almost shuddering as she met his eyes, before sighing and grabbing him gently by the arm, leading him to a corner without any unwanted ears.
As for tommy, he masterfully disguised the surge he felt as he met her radiating eyes and endured her all so familiar yet distant touch.
Letting his eyes dance over her pretty petite figure he cleared his throat, regretfully remembering she's not his to do so. "What are you doing here Thomas?" she questioned,skilfully noticing his significantly colder demeanour. "have business down in London" he rasped, watching as she frantically let her eyes dance over her surroundings. "shouldn't of bothered asking" she sarcastically laughed under her breath, glancing over the crowd once again. "Is he here?" tommy bluntly questioned, the pair both knowing who he was referring to.
"No." she spat, eager to avoid the topic.
"But i'd rather not be photographed with a Birmingham gangster, who's in London when i've assumed he's not meant to be" she stated, knowingly.
"hollywoods made you ashamed of us" he nodded, almost as if he was clarifying his own thoughts.
"no Thomas it hasn't, although i would be eager to avoid the papers being consumed with my past" she said as if it was blatant. "past?" he frowned.
"that i was in love with a notorious gangster" she spat, seemingly pissed off he made her practically spell it out.
Who knew a singular verb could provide a wave of hurt and pain, solely in a matter of seconds. Thomas Shelby, a man who's taken on multiple enemy's, but what outweighed them all? A verb. Or most specifically. "was"
Clearing his throat, he sighed heavily before lighting a smoke and offering her one. Reluctantly taking it off him, she turned her head back towards him as he spoke. "Was?" he repeated, a minuscule amount of hurt consuming his tone. Biting her lip in instant realisation, a pit formed in her stomach. "I can't tell you i'm in love with you anymore Thomas, that'd be lying to you" although her words were harsh her tone was gentle, albeit she wasn't in love with him she still had love for him and didn't want to see him hurt. Nodding in acceptance, he met her eyes once again.
"how long have you been with him?"he questioned, inhaling the smoke deeply.
"Six months" she replied, not meeting his gaze. "He's a banker, top in London"she added, fidgeting with her hands. Chuckling lightly he muttered under his breath. "A banker with an easy life" Charlotte immediately recognised the reference.
"don't want you running off and leaving me for a banker with an easy life"
"you left me no choice tommy"she sighed, shaking her head.
"and i'm sorry" he tried before she swiftly cut him off. "is just a word." she finished watching as he ultimately sighed in defeat. However she was just as aware as the next person that if regret could take human form, it'd look exactly like Thomas Shelby.
"Do you truly think so little of me Lottie?" he rasped, meeting her gaze for the countless amount of time.
Swallowing at the familiar sound of the nickname, she bit her lip once again.
"Tommy i thought the world of you." he diverted his gaze to the floor momentarily as he seemed to ponder on his next words.
"you know it's funny how you can't find the same person twice, even in the same person." he nodded, confirming his words. "What's that supposed to mean Thomas, what because i wont throw myself at you now?" she frowned in disbelief of his words. "It means you've changed" he clarified, watching as her eyes danced over his face.
"Well, it's funny what heartbreak will do to a person" she shrugged, watching as another surge of regret expressed on his face. Glancing over to the entrance of the club, she internally winced as a her eyes slightly widened. "Fuck."