15

Sat in the snug, John and Charlotte were toppled over thoroughly consumed with laughter. Charlotte had been on the up, things were as best as they could be, don't get her wrong she wasn't over the situation and it was highly unlikely she ever would be however nethertheless she was learning to live with it, the immense amounts of guilt.
The Shelby's were all down the garrison dispersed around the pub, the best friends were the only pair in the snug seeing as they had most likely cleared the room with their childlike behaviour. You would probably assume Tommy was slightly envious of Charlottes relationship with his brother, it's not that he wasn't entirely but he was always glad to see Charlotte smiling and he was specifically pleased to see that smile of hers after all that's happened. Keeping an eye on her, a distant smile came about his face as he glanced over to the pair,lost in laughter. "and me mum went mad at tommy when he said that to you" john threw his head back as he spoke in-between his own laughter "and she sent him to come and apologise to us" she struggled, leaning onto john in the midst of their antics.
As their laughter subsided, Charlotte glanced back over to john who held a slight saddened smile on his face.
"my mum was always fond of you" john recalled letting his mind trace to his mother. "i was always fond of her, reminds me a lot of me mum" charlotte smiled, the conversation taking a bittersweet turn. "she'd be over the moon to know your still with our tommy" john chuckled watching as charlotte glanced over to him.
"ah well i love him" she shrugged as her eyes danced over him.
"you should get out of here y'know" earning a frown of confusion from charlotte as she noticed his face suddenly harden. "eh?"
"well your destined to be a star ain't you?" he muttered "don't want us to be the reason you never get out of small heath" his voice became small, genuinity riddling his tone.
"Don't be silly john boy, i'm happy here"
I'm happy here.
Was she? Truth is she wasn't entirely sure herself. There was no denying that she was happy with Tommy and with the Shelby's, but that fell down to others and not her.
Genuine Fulfilment, the idea that our lives gain true meaning and depth from others and not just from personal accomplishments and self gratification.
Is that where she wanted to be? Someone else having immense amounts of authority over her life, a puppet on strings because love blurred her vision.
The realisation slowly came about her that just maybe what she truly strived for was something else that could give her life meaning, that she had full control of. To let herself be selfish and not allow her existence to be purely in the hands of others. Or other, Or Thomas Shelby.
"Are you?"

Thomas Shelby was Charlottes life and soul, without him she would have little to nothing, he was the source of her existence, the light of her darkness. But she additionally desired for something else to give her life meaning. Maybe go off to london and sing till her hearts content or fly off to hollywood and become a film star. However love was a powerful thing, a force to be reckoned with. As she often let her mind trace to her aspirations it would come through with all its might, acting as a stark reminder that the centre of her world wasn't where ever she dreamed it could be, where maybe the visionary's of her desired life could be pursued but instead it was wherever Tommy Shelby lived and breath, and it'd take a lot of love for that surge to stop serving as a reminder but perhaps a lesson of realisation instead.

Tommy was infact successful, his "idea" to become closer to grace in hopes of revealing whatever hidden secrets he suspected she may have. Although there was one slight problem, he had mastered the objective of getting closer to her effortlessly, without the intentions of receiving information however.
She was still anything but comparable to his Charlotte, but he did enjoy spending time with her, just because she was a women doesn't mean he was disloyal, she was only an acquaintance after all. Or was that just a cure to his guilty conscience?
"I heard your having a gathering here tonight" Grace stated, stood infront of tommy who sat at the bar.
"yes, it's Charlottes birthday" he nodded, lighting a smoke.
"and your not with her?" she further questioned, searching his face to meet his gaze.
"she's out with me sister and pol, shopping" he muttered.
When with grace, tommy found she would often strive to get onto the topic of his women. The reason why however he could never quite workout, but he certainly knew he disliked it, it often made him feel suddenly uncomfortable reminding him of the current circumstances, and in charlottes favour it often reminded him of his priorities. Reminding himself that she was top and always would be, it let him trace his mind to her and only made him a lot less eager to speak with grace additionally meaning he had to force himself to pursue his "plan" for the cause and best interests of his business.
Looking up to meet her gaze, he didn't miss the smirk that had taken place on her face. "for a second i thought you'd prefer to be spending time with me" she smiled, attempting to flirt with the Shelby man.
"Sorry to disappoint" he spoke through an almost smile so it wouldn't sound as harsh even though there was no dishonesty in his words,he did want to keep her proximity close after all.
"Is it going to be awkward tonight Thomas?" she turned slightly serious, earning a perplexed look from the man in-front of her.
"eh?" sending a frown her way
"well you know, she's unaware of us tommy" she sheepishly spoke through her thick accent.
Tommy mentally scowled himself, mindlessly forgetting that she was under the impression that they had their own thing going on that Charlotte was unaware of, and it wasn't like he could shut her down like he had done countless times before because he had entertained it for the "cause".
Clearing his throat to disguise his slight distain, he swallowed his better nature preparing to feed her exactly what she wanted to hear. "Ah yes, well it's not like you two are the best of mates is it, they'll be no need to talk to her" he replied, referencing to charlotte.
"don't be trying to throw it in her face grace, it won't work well in your favour" he stated, growing slightly apprehensive when thinking of the night ahead of him as he was fully aware that Charlotte's patience was wearing very thin in regards to the blonde's petty behaviour.
"What?" she questioned, almost as if she was slightly offended he was "siding" with the brunette.
Sighing heavily he rose from his seat downing his whiskey,
"i still have love for her grace and i still care for her just as much, don't take this piss"
"Still have love for her", little did grace know that he was absolutely still head over heels for the girl, still infatuated by her also. And he certainly didn't miss the way them five words felt incredibly wrong as they left his mouth.
Descending away from the bar he made a sharp turn to face the barmaid once again "Oh and grace, we're celebrating tonight, wear a nice dress, red." he nodded before leaving the pub and grace with a smile on her face.
Little did she know red was his least favourite colour.