~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 1 ~

Hare dodged Tsunami's claws and barrelled into the SeaWing's chest, sending them both rolling over each other on the cave's floor. Tsunami kicked out her hindlegs, attempting to hit Hare in the stomach. Hare hissed and rolled away. Tsunami got to her talons and leaped forward. Hare quickly moved out of the way, then jumped onto the SeaWing's back and pinned her down. Tsunami hissed and was about to fight back when a cry stopped them.

"Enough!"

Hare got off Tsunami as Kestrel walked over to them.

"You both fight very well," she said. "I'm impressed."

Hare puffed out her chest in pride. Tsunami got to her talons and fixed her gaze on their guardian.

"It's obvious you two have passed," Kestrel went on. "Well done. Go join the others and get some dinner."

The SkyWing turned and left the cave. Hare looked over at Tsunami and lightly nudged her with her wing. "Good job," she said. "I hope I didn't hurt you too bad."

Tsunami scoffed. "Please! We both know I would've won if Kestrel hadn't stopped us."

"Keep dreaming!"

Tsunami laughed and nudged Hare with her snout. "You fight well for a four-year-old," she said. "You're almost as skilled as the rest of us."

"I was trained by the best," Hare said, pride swelling in her chest.

Tsunami smiled and gave an approving nod. "Come on, let's go eat."

Hare followed Tsunami through the caves. Rocks scraped beneath her claws as they walked and rocks occasionally brushed against her wings. She quickened her pace a little as the scent of food hit her nose.

When Tsunami and Hare emerged into the cave where the others sat, Hare bounded forward to greet them.

"You're here!" the little odd-looking SandWing chirped. She looked nothing like Dune or the SandWings in the scrolls. Her scales were a darker yellow and she had black scales running up her leg. She didn't have a tail barb and her wings had odd little white spots here and there.

"Hi Sunny," Hare said, dipping her head a little in greeting.

Tsunami walked forward to join them and grabbed a cow off the small pile of prey. She sat beside the MudWing, Clay, and began to eat.

"I almost beat Hare in battle training," Tsunami said, tearing off part of the cow's flesh.

"You did not!" Hare said with a small laugh, pulling off a hawk from the pile. "I had you pinned."

"I would've thrown you off if I had the time!" Tsunami insisted.

"You would not!"

Hare pulled her hawk over to sit beside Sunny and the NightWing. The black dragonet had his nose stuck in a scroll, his glasses resting on the tip of his snout.

"Starflight, stop reading for a few minutes and talk with us," Hare said, lightly flicking her tail against his side.

"Back off," Starflight said, lightly batting her away. "I'm at a good part."

Hare snorted. "When are you not at a good part?"

"Leave the scrollworm to his stories."

The fifth dragonet bounded down from a small ledge and joined the others. Hare couldn't help but feel a stab of pity every time she saw her. The wings of sky the prophecy had called for wasn't what anyone would expect. It wasn't even wings of sky at all.

The RainWing grabbed the last cow off the pile and sank her teeth into it, eyeing Sunny's little lizard as if it were the strangest thing she'd ever seen.