~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 19 ~

The feast was delightful. There were cows and rabbits and birds and so many other kinds of prey. Hare ate well. She ate until well after her belly was full.

Her mother sat on a throne next to Queen Scarlet. Hare sat between her and Copper. She laughed and talked with the other dragons. The uncertain looks from Burn's guards eventually died away, and they looked at her as though she was someone they'd known forever. As though she were one of them.

Hare was in the middle of a conversation with Copper when the singing began. It was a song she'd heard before many times under the mountain.

"Oh, the dragonets are coming... They're coming to save the day... They're coming to fight... for they know what's right... the dragonets..."

The song was sung at least three times before the queens noticed.

"The prisoners," Queen Scarlet snarled. "I bet it's those dragonets."

The queen got up and made their way through the hallways. Hare hurried after them, Copper close on her tail. Several SkyWing guards followed.

"Idiots!" Hare murmured to Copper, unable to believe her friends would pull this. "What are they thinking?"

Her mother suddenly shot out a blast of flames and they burst through the arena doors.

"Stop that infernal noise right now!" Burn roared.

Queen Scarlet narrowed her eyes. "Get the dragonets," she snarled at the guards.

Six guards took off into the air, leaving two behind. "Be careful with them!" Hare cried.

She noticed how one of the guards seemed smaller and thinner than the others. Alder? Could such a small dragon really handle one of her friends? Starflight maybe, but Tsunami and Clay?

Hare felt her heart drop as she realized he was flying right for Tsunami.

"Alder!" she cried. "Tsunami, don't fight! Don't hurt him!"

"Alder can handle himself," Copper said, brushing his wing against hers.

"Alder's small and looks as though he barely eats," Hare shot back. "He's very clearly still a dragonet, probably younger than me. He can't take on Tsunami, even with help."

"Maybe he would if it were Fire," Copper said, squinting as he looked at the guards. "Though that doesn't look like Fire."

Hare saw Tsunami lash out, causing Alder to falter a little. "Tsunami, no!" she screeched. "Be careful!"

"Hush," Scarlet hissed, glaring at her. "He's a guard, he'll manage without you shrieking at him like a wild scavenger."

Hare snapped her head around to look at her. "Look at him! He-"

"Listen to her," Burn hissed, shooting Hare a look.

"Alder's no match against Tsunami," Hare snapped, though she knew it would have been better if she'd remained silent.

"Stop squawking," Queen Scarlet growled.

Hare closed her mouth and focused her attention back on Alder. Tsunami was still trying to fight. Alder attempted to dodge her attacks, but he moved too clumsily and was often caught by her claws. One of the guards who were still on the ground with them sighed and launched himself into the sky. He flew toward Tsunami's prison. He took her by surprise and raked his claws over her snout. While she was thrown off, the two bigger guards unchained her and dragged her down to the arena. Alder flapped around awkwardly for a few moments before flying down after them.

Hare felt a rush of pity when she saw how beat up he was. Blood dripped from his wounds and he stumbled a little as he walked. Hare turned to face Tsunami, unable to control her frustration.

"I told you to be careful!" she spat. "Look at what you've done to him!"

Tsunami bristled. "You think I can hear you from all the way up there?"

"I was screeching as loud as I could! How could you not hear it?"

"Calm down," Copper said, putting his wing over Hare's back. "She was just trying to defend herself, you would've done the same in her situation."

Hare looked at Alder, then at Tsunami. She took a moment to calm down, then sighed. "I'm sorry," she said. "I'm just worried for him."

"It's not out of character for you," Tsunami said kindly. "All is forgiven."

The other four guards flew down with Clay and Starflight.

"Bring them this way," Scarlet ordered, stomping down the tunnel.

Burn turned and waited for Hare to walk up beside her to follow. Copper hurried up beside her. Hare glanced over her shoulder at her friends, who were being pushed along by the guards.

I hope they won't do anything too bad to my friends. She looked up at her mother, who was staring straight ahead. I grew up with these dragons. She wouldn't dare hurt someone who grew up with her daughter, would she?