~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 24 ~

The air was full of beating wings as panicked dragons fought to flee from the arena. Hare knocked some aside and hurried after her friends. She had a moment of relief when she reached a clear area of the sky, until someone grabbed her tail.

Hare instantly whirled around, prepared to fight. The dragon kept a hold but looked at her innocently.

"Calm down," Copper said. "It's just me."

"Don't do that!" Hare snapped, whacking him on the head. Copper let go and pulled away. "I had to catch you somehow."

"You could've called for me," Hare huffed.

"Over all that chaos?" Copper snorted. "No, thank you. You never would've heard me. I would've had to scream until my lungs gave out."

"Are you two going to sit there chattering like blackbirds all day, or can we go?" Tsunami snapped, swooping back toward them.

"Right," Hare said, shaking her head a little. She looked at Glory as the RainWing came in beside Tsunami. The scene that had just gone down in the arena replayed in Hare's head, and that's when she realized something.

"That was you," Hare gasped, pointing at Glory. "The venom... it was you."

"I thought that was obvious," Glory said, beating her wings a little harder. "After all, you saw me attack the queen."

"No, I mean, the first time. That was you." Hare blinked at Glory. "You killed the IceWing."

"He was going to hurt Clay," Glory protested.

"Glory," Hare breathed. "You killed my father."

Glory's eyes widened. She looked as though she'd suddenly become speechless. Clay and Starflight flapped over to join them. Hare could tell by their expressions that they'd heard the conversation.

"That dragon was your father?" Clay asked.

"That's what Burn told me," Hare replied, still staring at Glory. "Fjord was my father."

"That's why he looked so hurt when you were rooting for me in the arena fight," Clay said, his eyes glowing with realization. "That's why he looked at you the way he did. He knew you were his daughter."

"I'm sorry," Glory said quietly. "I-"

"I'm not mad," Hare said quickly. "I can't be. None of us knew who he was, and you saved Clay. I'm just... shocked, that's all."

"Are you all always this slow?" Peril flapped up beside Clay, startling the others. "You could've gotten to her by now, let's go!"

"Wait," Hare said. "We have to save our guardians."

"Will we have time?" Starflight asked, glancing at Peril.

"We will if we split up," Hare said. "You all go get Sunny. Oh, and Kestrel. Copper and I will go get Hvitur, Asha, and Rose."

"Oh, no." Tsunami flew over to Hare. "You two aren't going alone. I'm coming with you."

"No," Glory said. "I am. We have to go back into the palace to get them, and I have the most powerful weapon." She looked at Peril. "Well, second most. Tsunami, you go with them."

"Both of you can go," Peril said. "I'll be able to protect all of us. No one will dare get near me. We can meet by the waterfall when we have everyone."

Hare nodded. "Alright, see you there."

The two groups split up into separate directions. Hare led her group to the palace, avoiding every dragon she could. When they landed, she turned to the others. "We should split up again."

Tsunami's ear twitched. "Why?" she demanded.

"Asha's all the way down in the dungeons." Hare pointed at Copper. "You can take Glory and show her the way to Asha's cell." She turned to Tsunami. "You and I can go get Hvitur and Rose."

Tsunami hesitated, then nodded. "Okay."

"Meet back here," Hare said to Copper before charging down the hall. She heard Tsunami hurrying after her. The halls were oddly quiet and eerie.

Everyone must have escaped, or be looking for us.

Hare led Tsunami to the healers' cavern and raced inside. Juniper and three other healers rushed past her, not noticing her and the SeaWing. Hare ran down the hallway, coming to a skidding halt at the cave. Five dragons were inside, along with Hvitur, Rose, and Cloud. Cloud looked up with worried eyes as Hare hurried in.

"Is the queen okay?" she asked.

"I don't know," Hare said quickly. "That's not why I'm here."

"Then why-" Hare pushed past Cloud, not giving her time to finish her question. She hurried to Hvitur's side. Rose was standing over him, staring at the other SkyWings in horror.

"Don't you dare," she breathed.

Hare didn't bother asking. She glared at the other dragons, who were clearly guards. "We're taking Rose and Hvitur and leaving."

"You're not taking anyone," a yellow-ish orange dragon snarled. "These are the queen's prisoners."

"The queen is dead," Hare shot back, though she wasn't sure if it was true. "Now go."

"And what are you going to do if there's no one left to take?" the SkyWing hissed.

Right after the words left his mouth, he leaped at Hvitur. "Moor, no!" Rose shrieked, but her words meant nothing. Moor tore at Hvitur's throat, spilling dark blue blood everywhere. The IceWing didn't bother fighting back. He let Moor draw his blood until he fell limp.

"You monster!" Hare screeched, knocking into Moor's side. "You killed him!"

Moor hopped away from Hare and whirled around to face her.

"He was supposed to be dead anyway," Moor growled.

"He was going to survive!" Hare snapped.

A blur of blue scales jumped in front of Hare. It hit Hvitur's murderer in the face with its powerful tail and looked at Hare.

"Get Rose and move," Tsunami said.

The other four guards got into battle stances and blocked the exit. "You're not going anywhere."

Tsunami and Hare pressed together, bristling and snarling. Rose stood beside them, lashing her tail. Cloud stood next to Tsunami, narrowing her eyes at the guards.

"Let them go," Cloud ordered.

The guards didn't move. Hare lunged at the SkyWing in front of her, digging her claws deep into her sides. The dragon struggled to fight back. Hare was aware of the battle breaking out around her. She leaped off the SkyWing and bucked out with her back talons. She hit the guard in the chest.

"Come on!" she called to the others. Rose pulled away from the SkyWing she was fighting and hurried over to Hare. Cloud followed. Tsunami fought for a few moments longer, then joined them. Hare led them back down the hall and to the entrance of the cavern.

"You three go," Cloud said, stopping in the entrance. "I'll make sure they don't go after you."

"That's a big risk Cloud," Hare said, looking at the SkyWing healer.

"A risk that I'm willing to take," she said. "Now go, before it's too late."

Hare touched the tip of her nose to Cloud's. "Thank you," she murmured before taking off down the hall again.