~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 3 ~

The next day passed by quicker than Hare would've liked. The day seemed painfully short, filled with hushed discussions of the previous night's events when Sunny wasn't around. In the late evening, the moment Hare had been dreaded arrived.

A massive black dragon loomed out of the shadows and entered the central cave. Hare felt weak with terror.

Please don't take me away.

The big NightWing looked like he could easily tear each of the dragons apart with just a single swipe of his claws. He also looked as if he already dreaded this visit and hated the dragonets.

Maybe he really is here for them. Maybe this has nothing to do with me. Hare fought back the urge to shrink against the cave floor. But what if he just hasn't noticed me?

Hare froze in horror as Morrowseer's gaze rested on her. No!

To her relief, he just flicked her tail and turned his attention to the other dragonets. He's not here for me.

Her relief didn't last for long when the NightWing saw Glory. His snout twitched in ripples of disgust, and his forked black tongue slipped over his teeth. He lifted one long claw and pointed at Glory.

"What. Is. That?" he demanded.

Glory sat with her tail curled over her talons. Her scales were shades of violet and gold, and they remained that way as the NightWing aimed his hostility toward her. Only the shades of fiery orange around her ears showed her frustration. Her gaze was calm as she looked at Morrowseer.

"There was an accident," Kestrel explained. "We lost the SkyWing egg, so we had to find another."

Morrowseer opened his mouth to reply, but Hvitur swung an accusing claw toward Hare and bared his teeth in a snarl. "You can thank her mother for that."

Morrowseer looked over at Hare. "So," he hissed. "You're the dragonet I brought here four years ago." He brought his head down so his huge snout was close to Hare's. Her breaths were shaky as the NightWing got so close to her and eyed her. "I must say, I was surprised when I heard you were a hybrid." His voice turned to a terrifying hiss. "I'm sure your mother and aunts would be delighted to meet you."

"You can't take me away!" Hare cried without thinking, taking a step back.

Morrowseer's slitted pupils widened a little in surprise. "I have no reason to take you away," he said, standing at his full height again. "That is not my job to do."

Hare began to feel the relief return until Hvitur stepped forward. "Like you said, her mother and aunts would be delighted to meet her. Why not bring her to them?"

"Burn said she's meant to stay hidden," Morrowseer said.

"For how long?" Hvitur demanded. "Forever? Are we just expected to care for her until she dies?"

"She'll stay hidden until Burn says otherwise," Morrowseer hissed. "Now stop arguing. I'm not here for her. I'm here for them."

Morrowseer pointed at the dragonets of the prophecy. "And I must say, I'm terribly disappointed."

Clay looked shamefully down at his talons and Sunny began trembling. Tsunami bared her teeth and dropped down as though she were preparing for battle. Hare quickly hurried forward.

"You barely even know them," she argued.

"I know they aren't what the prophecy called for," Morrowseer said, his deep voice rumbling throughout the cave.

"You don't know that," Hare snapped. "They're what it called for and more. Starflight is super smart, he knows so much more than any of us." She swept her wing toward Clay. "Clay is good at protecting us and knowing how to avoid a fight." She pointed at Sunny. "Sunny knows how to avoid a fight, too. She's skilled with words, and she has a bright spirit that brings everyone hope." Hare nodded her head toward Tsunami. "Tsunami's an extremely talented fighter, and she's a natural born leader." Finally, Hare pointed at Glory. "Glory's smart and talented. She trains hard and fights well. She studies almost as much as Starflight does."