~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 9 ~

The first dragon Hare met in the Sky Kingdom was a little odd to say the least. Hare didn't dislike her, but she certainly wasn't the dragon the hybrid was expecting to see.

Her name was Peril. She was the Queen's Champion, the best fighter Queen Scarlet had for the arena. This was most likely because of Peril's unfair advantage in battles; she had fire in her scales. She could burn anyone with a single touch.

Apparently dragons like her were called firescales.

Peril was awfully kind for such a dangerous dragon. She welcomed Hare with a warm smile and showed her around some parts of the palace when Hare wasn't with the healers.. SkyWings stared in awe at Hare, then quickly backed off in horror once they saw Peril.

Hare was treated with a lot of respect. Some dragons bowed once they saw her. It felt odd, but also nice. It was funny to see dragons bow before such a young dragon, but it was nice to feel important.

Because I am important, Hare would remind herself. I'm the daughter of Burn, and I'm the niece of Blister and Blaze. Though I don't think my aunts matter much here.

The afternoon sunlight beat down on Hare's scales as she sat on a balcony, enjoying a rabbit one of the guards had brought for her. Peril ws beside her, some distance away but still next to her. Her copper scales shimmered in the sun.

"This is nice," Hare said, swallowing a bite of her rabbit. "I've never eaten out in the sun before."

"You've missed out on a lot, living under that pile of rocks," Peril said.

"The world is so much bigger than I thought it was," Hare said, looking around. Mountains reached up to the clouds. Trees dotted the lands around them. Pretty white, fluffy clouds danced through the sky. Some small streams were noticeable, and the water glittered beautifully in the light of the sun. The air was fresh and carried the scent of nature. Hare breathed it in, enjoying every moment. She really had missed out on a lot.

"I guess things seem better when you've never seen them before," Peril said with a small shrug, looking out at the land around them. "It makes you appreciate it more."

"I've never wanted anything more than to see what was outside our mountain," Hare told her. "Well, maybe I wanted to meet my mother more. But still, this was up there on the list. This looks nothing like the bloody scenes and scorched grounds our guardians would always tell us about."

"Your guardians told you about that?" Peril asked, shuddering.

"The others needed to know what they were getting into," Hare pointed out, taking another bite of the rabbit. "They couldn't just go into the world blindly, thinking everything was good and peaceful. They needed to know what they're destined to stop."

"I guess that's true," Peril said, still not looking at Hare. "What was it like, growing up with the dragonets?"

Hare shrugged. "It was fine. They were all I had, and everyone was nice to me. Well, mostly. Dune and Rose were the kindest to me."

Grief raked its claws across Hare's heart as she remembered the SandWing guardian. The first day she'd been here, she spent a lot of it getting her wounds treated. It helped her feel better physically, but nothing helped with the pain of losing Dune. She'd been so lost in grief that she barely did anything. She spent two days with the healers, just grieving. Rose came in every now and then to check on Hvitur. She was always accompanied by guards, and Hvitur was chained to the wall. None of the other SkyWing healers made an effort to help him. Hare guessed it was some kind of order from Scarlet.

Peril shook out her wings. "I'm going to go meet them," she told Hare. "You'll be alright here, won't you?"

"Of course," Hare replied.