~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 26 ~

Not getting caught proved to be harder than they'd originally thought. SandWings and SkyWings had been searching nonstop. They'd spent half the day hiding from search parties.

"We'll never get anywhere at this rate," Kestrel snarled.

"I can look for a better path," Hare offered. She didn't give anyone a chance to reply. "Wait here."

She moved quietly through the undergrowth they were hiding in. She climbed up a tall hill of dirt and stood at the top, scanning the area below her. A SkyWing suddenly swooped over her. Hare quickly ducked and pressed herself against the hill, praying her sand-colored scales would be enough to hide her.

To her dismay, the SkyWing turned and came back toward her. Cuts ran along his body with dried blood crusted on the outside.

"Still haven't gotten those cleaned up?" Hare said, sitting up.

Alder hovered in front of her and laughed a little. "Not yet," he replied. "I haven't had time."

"Head that way toward the river," Hare said, pointing back toward the waterfall. "There's plenty of water."

"I'd hope so," Alder said, chuckling a little. "I assume you're hiding?"

"How'd you know?" Hare said, smiling.

"Just a wild guess." Alder flew in a small circle, then came back to face Hare. "So, where are you heading?"

Hare eyed him suspiciously. "Aren't you one of the guards searching for me and my friends?"

"Supposed to be," Alder replied honestly. "But you tried saving me once. I may as well try saving you too." Hare realized what his plan was before he said it, but she let him explain. "If you tell me where you're going, I can push the other parties in the opposite direction. Then you can get there without anyone catching you."

"We're going to the Diamond Spray Delta," Hare told him.

Alder nodded. "I'll find somewhere to nudge them toward. Just give me a day, I'll come back here to meet you at sunset tomorrow. I'll give you the green light to go."

"I actually have an idea," Hare said. "Tell them to go toward the waterfall. Tell them there's a cave behind the waterfall that you accidentally stumbled across. You saw us hiding in there."

Alder smiled and nodded again. "Cave behind the waterfall, got it." His expression suddenly changed to confusion and he tilted his head. "Is there actually a cave behind the waterfall?"

Hare nodded. "You might see it."

"Won't the others think it's suspicious if I get there and end up having no idea where it is?" Alder pointed out.

"Tell them you've only ever seen it once," Hare told him. "Tell them you only saw it when you found us. You met me and told me that that was where we're staying."

"You're good at coming up with stories like this," Alder said, shooting her a toothy smile. "Good thing I have a good memory." The small SkyWing looked up at the sun. "Alright, you and your friends should keep moving. I'll get the other guards going in the other direction."

"Thank you Alder," Hare said, dipping her head. "I appreciate your help. We all do."

Alder smiled and dipped his head, too. "Anytime, Hare."

Hare turned and bounded down the hill. She stopped halfway down to look over her shoulder. "I'll see you again, won't I?"

Alder hesitated. "I hope so," he replied.

Hare nodded. "I hope so too. Goodbye Alder."