~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 14 ~

"Is Rose here?"

Hare was standing in the healers' cavern. After today's events, she instantly went to go look for Rose. She hadn't bothered waiting for Copper or telling him where she was going.

Juniper looked up from putting away some herbs. "She just arrived," he replied.

"Can I see her?" Hare asked.

Juniper flicked his wing and went back to what he was doing. "You know where to find her."

Hare nodded and went down the hall that led to Hvitur's cave. Three dragons stood outside the cave. Two were guards, one Hare didn't know and Alder. Cloud was the third dragon. She stood beside Alder and was shifting uncomfortably.

"Excuse me," Hare said as she walked past them and into the small cave. Rose was sitting over Hvitur, checking his wounds. The tear on his belly looked better. It was definitely healing. Hare let out a small breath of relief as the look on Rose's face confirmed it. She hadn't killed him after all. Hvitur was going to be okay.

Rose looked over as Hare walked over to sit beside her. Hare expected to see some kind of chain on her, but the SkyWing was completely free.

That must be because there are two guards outside, and there's nowhere for her to run either way.

"Hi Hare," Rose said. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to come see you," Hare said. "I need to ask you about something."

"Make it quick." Hvitur raised his head a little and glared at her.

"Lay down," Rose ordered, gently pushing his head back down.

"I'm not just going to sit here and act like I'm paralyzed until I'm fully healed," Hvitur snarled.

Rose didn't respond to him. "What happened, Hare?"

"Something happened in the arena." Hare told Rose about what had gone down with Fjord and Clay and how Clay had gone untreated. Rose froze and looked at her. "I've never heard of that before."

"Do you know what happened?" Hare asked. "Like, what could have caused it? Or where the droplets came from? Or even what they are?"

"It sounds like the effect of acid or venom," Rose said, looking thoughtful. "I'm not sure where it could've come from, though."

Hare's heart pounded with panic. "Clay was hit with venom?"

"It sounds like it." Rose inspected Hvitur's wound a little more before backing away, then turned to face the guards. "I can come back to this later. I'd like to go check on the MudWing."

"You've only been giving permission to treat the IceWing," the unfamiliar guard said.

"But there's a dragon who needs help. If none of your other healers will do it, then I will."

"No," the guard said firmly. "You're lucky you're even allowed to treat him. Now do your job or we'll bring you back to your cell."

Rose opened her mouth to argue, but Alder shot her a warning look. Rose sighed and turned back to Hvitur. She brought Hare a little closer to whisper into her ear.

"I can't do anything, so I want you to try to treat Clay. No one will stop you. Bring willow bark. It'll ease the pain. Aloe vera may help a little with the poison."

Hare nodded. "Where do I find them?"

Rose pointed with her tail at a small pile of herbs next to her. "There's some willow bark there. Take it. I'll find something else for Hvitur."

"You'll risk my life for that MudWing?" Hvitur snarled.

"Your wound is healing," Rose shot back.

"I've already risked my life for these stupid prophecy dragonets once," Hvitur hissed. "I'm not doing it again."

"You're not at risk anymore," Rose said. "You just need more time to heal and recover. You'll survive."

Hare felt a rush of relief. I didn't kill him.

Rose leaned closer to Hare. "Juniper has a pile of aloe vera sitting on one of the tables out there," she whispered. "You'll know it when you see it. He's yet to put it away. Grab some when you pass by."

Hare nodded. She moved around Rose and grabbed the willow bark. "Thank you, Rose," she murmured before she left the cave.

As Hare walked down the hall, she heard the sound of someone running up behind her. A pale orange dragonet rushed around her and halted in front of her, his wings bushed up and his face etched with determination.

"Stop!" Alder ordered. "Where are you going with that?" He pointed at the willow bark and eyed Hare suspiciously.

"Somebody needs them," Hare replied calmly.

Alder narrowed his eyes a little and bared his teeth. Hare stifled a laugh. It was clear he was trying to look intimidating, but he looked no scarier than a cornered scavenger. He stood taller, stumbling a little as he did so.

"You're trying to be like Fire, aren't you?" Hare said.

Alder puffed out his chest. "My mother is the best guard Queen Scarlet has. Everyone should try to be like her. She's brave and smart and confident."

Another light-colored SkyWing suddenly appeared beside Hare.

"Alder, let Hare go," Cloud said. She still looked extremely uncomfortable and now she looked a little irritated too. What's wrong with her? Is she always like this?

Hare remembered the first time she'd met Cloud. She seemed fine until Alder came into the picture, and now that discomfort only seemed to increase now that she was close to him.

Something must've happened, either between her and Fire or her and Alder.

"Mother wouldn't let her go so easily," Alder insisted.

"Well you're not Fire, are you?" Cloud said. "And Fire knows better than to make Burn's daughter some kind of foe."

Alder hesitated for a moment, then stepped to the side. "Alright," he murmured. "You can go."

"I'd hope so," Cloud huffed. She looked like a mother scolding her dragonet despite the obvious discomfort she showed.

"Thank you," Hare said, nodding to Cloud. She walked past Alder, lightly brushing her wing against his as she did. "With the way your mother does things, she may make some unnecessary enemies. Be careful when deciding who you want to be like."

Alder remained silent. Hare walked down the hallway and emerged into the main cavern. She scanned the tables. She spotted the succulent plant on one of the tables by the exit. She hurried over and grabbed some.

"In a rush?" Juniper joked.

"You could say that," Hare replied as she collected the plant.

"I hope you don't plan on carrying all that," Juniper said, walking up beside her. "That's quite the talonful of herbs."

"It's nothing I can't handle," Hare insisted.

"And what if you drop something?" Juniper pointed out. "Herbs are a delicate thing. I'll grab you a pouch. No, don't argue. We have plenty to spare."

Juniper walked across the cavern. He opened a closet and pulled out a well crafted pouch. It was wound with brown fabric that was decorated with little plant patterns along the edges. Juniper shut the closest. He walked back across the cavern and held out the pouch to Hare.

"Here."

Hare hesitated, then put the herbs down and slipped the pouch over her head. It rested against her shoulder. Hare picked back up the herbs and organized them in her pouch.

It won't stay like this for long, but at least it looks neat for now.

"Thanks Juniper," Hare said.

"No worries," Juniper replied. "Now run along. You're clearly in a hurry."