~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 11 ~

An odd darkness and sense of dread surrounded Hare until her eyes snapped open. She looked around, confused on why she'd woken up in such unfamiliar territory.

I must still be dreaming.

But she felt so real, it couldn't be just a dream.

The place looked like a dark rainforest. Trees drooped down and vines so dark they were almost black wove between the branches and hung down in low arches. A pale light shone through the branches. Hare looked up and shuddered. A single moon sat in the sky with only a few stars scattered around it. It looked horribly distorted, like someone had ripped the reflection out of rippling water and put it in the sky.

The ground was dark, the grass was dead and squelched a little below Hare's talons. The place reeked of rot and what Hare thought was the scent of death.

Where am I?

Hare pricked her ears and moved through the trees. She kept her guard up and prepared herself to face any possible attackers. She wasn't alone here, she knew it. She could sense the presence of a lot of other dragons, dragons who had nothing but evil intentions.

Hare forced herself not to yelp as one of the dead vines had one end snap down from the branches it was wove between. It almost landed on Hare's snout, startling her even more. Now it just hung like a regular vine, waving back and forth through the chilly, eerie wind.

Hare stared at it in horror for a moment, then forced herself to keep moving. She couldn't stay in one place for too long, not in a place so unfamiliar and creepy.

The sound of faint, quiet voices startled her. Hare looked up and spotted a cave hidden behind a few trees. She hesitated, then walked toward it. The voices grew louder as she grew closer, though they were still faint. Hare walked into the entrance and was instantly struck with a horrible sound. Wails and screeches rose from the cave, pleading for help or screeching in pain. She couldn't see anyone, but the voices were clear. Hare took a step back as the sounds filled her ears. They were almost deafening.

Hare stared into the dark cave in horror. There was a tunnel that led further into the cave. That must be where the voices were coming from. Before she could consider going down to find the source of the voices, a wail sounded from extremely close by. A moment later, a horribly mangled dragon slowly walked out of the tunnel and rounded the corner. Its skin dangled by thin strips, revealing the bones beneath. No blood could be seen, but Hare thought that's what made it all more disturbing. The shape of the disfigured snout and the color of the torn-up scales were the only things that helped Hare figure out it was a MudWing. The sockets where its eyes should have been were empty.

The MudWing raised its head and parted its jaws to let out another agonizing wail. Hare took a step back. The wail rose to a high-pitched screech as the MudWing stretched out its talon, clearly begging for help. Hare didn't even have a moment to blink before the mangled dragon was quickly dragged back into the tunnel.

Hare turned and fled from the cave. She dashed through the trees, her talons barely making any sound as she raced through the horrifying rainforest.

She didn't know how long she'd been running for before she stepped in something that instantly made her stop. She'd nearly slipped over it. Hare backed up and looked down. The dead, decaying body of a SkyWing was laying on the ground, its belly slit open and exposing its organs. Some had dropped onto the ground, and all of them were shriveled.

Hare turned away and vomited. She backed up and gasped for air.

"Help!" she wailed, suddenly feeling helpless. "Help! I want to go home!"