~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 6 ~

Hare stared at Hvitur in a horrified silence. The IceWing flicked his tail, letting out a satisfied hiss.

"How horribly rude," he rasped, stepping forward. "Is this how we raised you to be?"

Hare was unsure of what to say. She felt if she opened her mouth, nothing would come out. Not even a nervous squeak.

"Now," Hvitur hissed, eyeing her with a menacing glare. "How shall we handle this?" He lowered his head a little. "How shall I punish a nosy, disobedient dragonet?"

Without giving her a chance to respond, Hvitur slashed his claws across her snout. Hare yelped and dodged his next blow. He snarled and lunged toward her. Hare dashed underneath him, rearing up on her hindlegs so her head hit his underbelly.

Hvitur hit the ground crookedly with a thud and rolled on the rocks. He instantly leaped back up and swung his claws toward Hare. Hare quickly ducked to the side and raked her claws along Hvitur's side. Hvitur reared up, then slammed himself down on Hare's flank. She cried out in pain as her legs buckled beneath her. She turned the top half of her body and attempted to hit Hvitur with her claws again.

Her attack was misaimed and she hit nothing but air. Hvitur leaned his body weight against her back and placed his hindlegs against her hindquarters. He put his front talons on her shoulders and pushed her down, pinning her.

Hare squirmed, trying to free herself. Hvitur leaned down to snarl in her ear.

"You're not going to stop us," he hissed quietly. "You and your friends won't be able to do anything, no matter what you try."

Hvitur stood on Hare's back, causing her to groan in pain. "I can't kill you yet, no matter how much I want to," he said. "But I can teach you a lesson, one you won't forget."

"Let her go."

Hare was almost relieved when she looked up and saw Dune. He stood in the entrance of the cave, his gaze fixed on Hvitur.

Hvitur hissed. "Why should I? She'll ruin our plan."

"You've taught her enough." Dune flicked his tail. "There's no need to do more."

Hvitur placed his claws on Hare's throat. Hare stared in horror at Dune. Help me!

"What's stopping me from killing her?" Hvitur snarled. "She's at my mercy."

Dune stepped forward and raised his barbed tail like a scorpion. "Release her."

Hvitur's claws dug deeper, almost enough to draw blood. Hare winced in pain.

"Why do you try so hard to protect her?" he asked, though Hare could tell by his tone that he already knew the answer.

"Six-Claws trusted me to care for her," Dune replied. "I'm not going to let him down."

"How horribly sweet," Hvitur sneered.

Dune stepped closer. "Now let go of her," he snarled. "Or I'll finish the job Burn started."

Hvitur kept his claws on Hare's throat for a few more moments, then he released her and stepped back. Hare let out a gasp and quickly got up.

"We can't let her leave," Hvitur said. "She knows the plan."

"She won't sabotage us." Dune looked over at Hare as he lowered his tail. "She knows this is what's best. She's far too wise not to. Let her leave."

Hvitur hissed but didn't argue. Hare hurried toward the cave entrance. Right before she left, she paused and looked over her shoulder at the two guardians.