~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 17 ~

Queen Scarlet's eyes narrowed to small yellow slits. "Now where did you hear about that particular law?" she demanded.

Peril didn't have a moment to answer. Queen Scarlet whirled around and pointed an accusing claw at Osprey.

"You!"

The queen launched herself toward Osprey, her talons ready to snatch him between them.

"No!" Peril shrieked. She lunged forward and blocked Scarlet off from Osprey. Queen Scarlet's talon brushed against Peril's chest as she struggled to back away. She hissed in pain and hovered in the air. Peril remained where she was, glaring at Scarlet. She bared her teeth in a snarl. "Stay away from him."

Scarlet shook her talon, staying where she was for a few more moments. Finally, Scarlet flew back to the balcony and took her place again.

"Very well," she snarled. "You want to fight for this traitor? So be it. Tomorrow, for my hatching day ceremony, we'll hold a battle for the Champion's Shield. If Peril wins, Kestrel will go free. If not, then I'll have a dead champion. Then I'll get to execute Kestrel right after. All in all, a wonderfully bloody day for me and Queen Burn to look forward to."

Hare looked up at Scarlet in surprise. "Queen Burn? You mean, my mother? She'll be here?"

"Of course she will," Queen Scarlet replied. "You think I'll have my hatching day without my ally present?"

Hare felt a rush of excitement, almost completely drowning out all the negative emotions this trial had caused. She turned to Copper with a wide smile.

"I'm going to meet my mother!" she said.

"At least it'll be in a happier way than this," Copper murmured, looking at Kestrel and Peril, who was still hovering by Osprey protectively.

"Of course, we'll have to lock Kestrel up again," Scarlet said. "We can't have her escaping again."

"Fine," Peril said, looking at her mother. The two stared at each other as Vermillion dismissed the crowd. Dragons poured out of the arena, buzzing with excitement. As the last few dragons were leaving, Fire and Alder came into the arena again. They grabbed Kestrel away as Queen Scarlet smiled triumphantly.

"What a thrilling day," she cooed. "Tomorrow will be even more exciting. I'll be sure our guests won't be disappointed."

Queen Scarlet brushed her wing over Hare's back, looking down at her. She gave her a motherly smile that sent chills down Hare's spine.

"Come on," Copper said, pulling Hare away and nudging her inside. "Do you want to go check on the IceWing?"

Hare pulled away as he asked that. "No." She turned to face Scarlet, who was just walking in. "Where's the other MudWing?" she asked.

Queen Scarlet paused and tilted her head. "Other MudWing?"

"Yes," Hare said, growing desperate. "The other MudWing you found under the mountain. The other one you took when you took u- my friends. Where is she?"

Scarlet flicked her tail. "Oh, that pathetic thing? She's locked away. Don't you worry, she's getting the treatment she deserves."

Hare couldn't help but fear what that meant.

"The treatment of a traitor, I assume?" Copper hissed.

Queen Scarlet narrowed her eyes at her son. "Copper," she snarled dangerously.

"Come on Hare," Copper said, pulling her away again.

Hare walked beside him, glancing nervously over her shoulder at Scarlet. The queen watched them leave, her eyes still narrowed.