~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 16 ~

Chilly air hit Hare, and she opened her eyes to find herself in a place of darkness. She bit back a desperate yowl.

No!

Dark, drooping trees surrounded her. She was back in the rainforest.

"Why am I here?" she cried, unable to contain herself. "Stop bringing me here! I want to go home!"

The forest flickered, then she was suddenly back in the desert. The sun shone on her scales and nearly blinded her. She looked away and blinked, giving her eyes time to adjust to the light. When she looked up again, the SandWing was standing before her again.

The sun was too bright for Hare to make out the color of their scales or any important features. The only thing she could really see was the snake-like obsidian eyes that glared down at her. A hissing voice echoed around her.

"Hare."

Hare's head shot up and she whipped her head around, scanning the room. She was back in her room, and the sun was just beginning to rise.

Why was I back in the rainforest? And who was that dragon?

Hare got up and stretched. She didn't have time to worry about it right now. She had to check on Clay again.

Hare walked out of her room and almost immediately crashed into Copper. Copper wheeled back and blinked at her.

"I was just coming to get you," he said. "Queen Scarlet needs us. There's a trial today. It'll begin soon, we need to go."

"Already?" Hare said. "I wanted to- Ugh, never mind. Alright, let's go."

Copper raced through the halls, Hare close behind him. She followed as he dashed through the palace, only slowing when he did as they reached the balcony. They stopped just before they were able to walk onto the balcony.

"She's not here yet," Copper commented, looking around.

"She is." Hare jumped as Queen Scarlet's voice hissed from behind her. She looked over her shoulder to see the queen approaching with Vermillion and Ruby. Scarlet wore small black chains that were studded with diamonds instead of her usual golden mail. "She was just waiting for your slow tail to hurry up."

Hare winced as she realized the queen was only addressing her son. "It wasn't his fault," she said quickly. "He had to get me. If anyone was slow, it was me."

Scarlet waved her talon dismissively. "There's no need to take unnecessary blame, dear. Now, let's go. All of you." She used her wing to nudge Ruby forward. She stumbled a little over her talons, but she quickly straightened herself and stood tall like her mother. "At this rate, the sun will be at its highest point before we begin this trial."

Hare stepped back to let Queen Scarlet walk past her. The queen paused beside her and wrapped her wing around her, pushing her forward.

"I want you right beside me for this," the queen said.

Hare glanced back at Copper, then walked out beside Scarlet onto the balcony. The sounds of the crow's cheering and murmuring filled Hare's ears as Queen Scarlet took her place in the center, Hare and Ruby sat on either side of her. Vermillion leaped down onto one of two boulders that were laid out in the sand of the arena. He turned to face the crowd and spread his blood-red wings. Copper sat a little closer than he usually did, sticking closer to Hare. She was grateful for the comfort of his presence.

Another dragon, a pale red SkyWing, walked slowly on the sand. He climbed the second boulder and laid on it. His tail was stiff and laid limply behind him. His wings draped over the sides of the boulder. He was clearly old, but he still sat elegantly and formally. His pale eyes scanned the crowd. Their voices died down and they began to grow silent. He gave a small nod, then fixed his gaze on the center of the arena.