Chapter 7

Sunlight draped over my face as the morning dawned in England, the warmth welcoming me back. I drowsily sat up and rubbed my eyes, the energy from the previous day gone like a leaf in the wind. 

I looked at my phone to find that I had 20 missed calls from my parents over the span of three days. I chuckled and shook my head in disbelief. 

My mom and dad were always wanting to know the full details whenever I was doing something big, and I guess that hadn't changed while I was on the other side of the continent.

I pushed the call button and put my phone to my ear, the loud ringing waking me up from my daze. After two rings, Mom picked up and exclaimed, "Ellie! It's so good to hear from you. We were worried that you had forgotten about us."

"I've been busy, Mom," I yawned. "I haven't had much time to talk."

"That's alright," she assured me. "I can't imagine what it's like there. Is it crazy?"

"Yes," I nodded. "But it slows down at night, so I've worked a few hours during those times."

"Well, don't forget to sleep," Mom replied. "It won't do you any good to be walking around like a zombie."

"I promise I'm getting enough sleep, Mom," I sighed. "You don't need to worry about me."

She laughed. "That's my job, Ellie. I am your mother, after all."

I shook my head again and smirked. "I know that."

A sudden voice called out, and I recognized it as my dad, who tended to be a bit loud most of the time. "Oh, that's your father," Mom drawled out. I could practically see her eyes rolling as she said it. "Call us whenever you can, all right?"

"Yep," I responded. "I'll do that."

"Love you, Ellie," she said sweetly.

"I love you too." With that, I hung up and got myself ready for another day.

An hour later, I waited in my workstation for Emmy and Joel to show up. I was an absolute bundle of nerves while I stood next to the white dress, and I could feel my brow beginning to sweat in response. 

I was praying to the clothing gods that it would be a masterpiece and that they would both be stunned by my work. I had put almost an entire day into it, and I was very happy with the end result. Please work, please work, I thought frantically to myself. 

As if my wishes had been granted, the door opened, and I was met with joyful, exuberant tones. Emmy and Joel were standing at the doorframe with their mouths hanging open in amazement. 

Joel exclaimed, "Ellie, this is absolutely incredible!"

I breathed a large sigh of relief and smiled wide. Thank the Lord

Emmy quickly walked up to the dress, examined it with a smile, then asked cheerfully, "Did you make this for me?"

I nodded excitedly. "It's all yours, my friend."

She jumped in excitement and came over to hug me tightly. "Thank you so much," Emmy said to me quietly. When she pulled away, she said, "I can't wait to wear this! It's so beautiful, Ellie."

"Do you want to try it on now?" I asked.

Emmy nodded. "Yes, please. I can't wait any longer."

Joel laughed at her giddiness, and I pointed her in the direction of the dressing room while I carefully took the gown off of the mannequin. Once she got behind the curtain, I handed it to her and waited for my cue to lace the back up.

He came to stand next to me and said, "I knew you could do it."

I flushed and glanced at him out of the side of my eye. "She is going to look so gorgeous in it. I figured the white would accommodate her youthful appearance well."

Joel nodded. "I agree. It's perfect for the character of Christine."

A moment later, Emmy said, "Alright, Ellie, I'm ready for you to tie me up."

"Okay," I responded, opening the curtain up just enough so that I wasn't invading her privacy. I reached in, grabbed the laces, and pulled them as gently as possible without hurting her. When I was sure it was tight enough, I asked Emmy, "Does it fit well enough on you?"

"It's perfect," she replied, and I could hear the smile in her voice, making me feel extremely proud of myself.

I stepped away and let her come out at her own pace. Soon enough, Emmy pushed away the curtain and stood tall, looking like an absolute goddess. She raised her arms high and asked, "Do I look like an 'Angel of Music', Joel?"

Joel fanned himself playfully and replied, "You are a work of art."

She clapped her hands and squealed with joy. 

The grin that had been on my face was the size of a planet, causing Emmy to point at me and say, "I knew there was a smile in there somewhere. Just takes a little bit to get it out."

I swung my arms around, feeling in awe at her statement. Emmy Rossum and Joel Schumacher were giving me incredible compliments that struck me straight in the heart, and I couldn't have felt better. My career was off to a great start.