Chapter 27

Hours passed by before I finally woke up from my slumber. I still felt exhausted, but it was more emotional than physical. My head was throbbing from being so tense earlier, and I rubbed my temple in an effort to feel better. 

When it didn't work, I rolled over on my side and snuggled into Gerard's chest. His eyes were still closed, but his arms were quick to come around my torso, and he pulled me even closer to him. "Good morning, darling," he murmured, pressing a gentle kiss to my sore head.

"Hi."

"How are you doing?" Gerard asked.

I shrugged and buried my face into his shoulder as a response. He nodded in acknowledgement, then kissed the top of my head. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Just stay here with me," I mumbled.

He tightened his grip without hurting me at all and said, "I can do that."

Gerard spent the rest of the time holding me until we landed in Cleveland.

Once we got off of the plane and went through security, I hailed a taxi to take us to the hospital that my dad was at. It was a 30 minute drive, but it felt so much longer than that. 

My pulse was racing in my ears, and I was worried that I was also going to have a heart attack, but Gerard's reassuring hand came over mine to calm me down. I eventually took a deep breath and relaxed as much as possible.

We arrived at the entrance to the hospital, and I practically leapt out of the car, not waiting for Gerard to catch up. I slid to a stop on the polished floor and breathlessly said, "There's a patient here that I need to see."

The nurse, who's name was Betty, looked at me calmly and asked, "What is the patient's name?"

"Andrew Parker," I replied. "He came in recently after a heart attack."

Betty nodded and looked through a long list of names on the computer. I heard footsteps coming up behind me, and Gerard also slid to a stop next to me. "Wow, you're fast," he commented while trying to catch his breath.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I should've waited for you."

He took a moment to breathe, and then he replied, "It's alright, darling. I understand."

I brushed the dark hair out of his face and turned back around to the nurse. She scrolled a bit more, then said, "Are you related to Andrew Parker?"

"Yes," I nodded. "I'm his daughter. My mother should be here as well."

"Okay," Betty replied. "Your father is on the fifth floor, and he's in room 603."

"Thank you," I said. "I appreciate your help."

I then grabbed Gerard's hand and dragged him to the elevator. The silver doors opened after a few moments, and I walked into the empty space with him close behind me. I hit the button that was marked with a "5", and I anxiously bounced on my heels while holding his hand tightly.

He kissed the side of my head and rubbed his thumb along my knuckles. "He's going to be okay, Ellie," Gerard said gently. "He'll probably feel even better when he sees your beautiful face."

I rested my head on his shoulder and held onto his arm. "I sure hope so."

The doors eventually opened up to the fifth floor, and I nervously stepped out. I looked through the sections of rooms, and my eyes landed on the 600 area. Since he was in room 603, I didn't have to look very far for him, and I walked to the white door, which was open. 

I put a hand up and told Gerard to wait in the hallway, and he did so with an understanding expression on his face. I then peeked through the doorframe and looked inside.

My mom was sitting next to my dad, who was lying in bed, presumably sleeping. Her hand was wrapped tightly around his, and I could see that she was praying quietly. I didn't want to ruin the moment, but I needed her to know that I was there, so I knocked on the door and said, "Hello, mom."

Her head snapped up, and her emerald-green eyes landed on mine. "Ellie?" she asked, her mouth hanging open. 

I nodded and walked in, embracing her immediately. She wrapped her thin arms around my neck and rested her cheek on my shoulder. I couldn't contain the tears that were coming, so I let them flow down my face.

We held each other tightly and wept until we both dried out. I pulled back the slightest bit and asked, "How is he?"

Mom took a breath and replied, "He should make a full recovery, but we're keeping him here for precautions."

"Thank God," I sighed heavily. "Do they know what caused the heart attack?"

"His diet played a big part in it," she said. "He's always eaten a bit unhealthy, but I wasn't expecting his arteries to be clogged to the point of a heart attack."

I closed my eyes and shuddered at the thought. How could we have not noticed that his health had been deteriorating? I felt like I had failed him immensely, and I wouldn't have been surprised if he hated my guts when he eventually saw my face.

"Is he sleeping right now?" I asked.

"Yes," Mom replied. "He had open-heart surgery yesterday, and the doctors said it was a success."

My legs almost gave out from underneath me as the relief hit me like a freight train. Dad was going to be alright, and I couldn't have felt more blessed than in that moment. 

I walked over to the other side and took his hand. Just as I was about to kiss it, his eyes fluttered open, and he looked at me with his kind blue eyes.

"Well, well," Dad smiled. "Look who finally decided to show up."

I wasted no time and hugged him tightly. "Don't ever scare me like that again," I said into his shoulder. "You nearly gave me a heart attack."

He patted my back and laughed. "Will do, Ellie."

I gripped onto his hospital nightgown and rested my ear by his heart, which was beating strongly in his chest. Thank you, God, I thought to myself with a smile.

A few minutes later, I separated from Dad and took in his presence. "You look good," I chuckled. "A little pale, but nothing that Mom probably couldn't handle."

She brushed his greying hair back and kissed the side of his head. "He's still the same handsome hunk I remember from the eighties."

Usually, I would've made a gagging sound, but since my dad was alive, I decided not to. It also reminded me that Gerard was still waiting patiently outside, and I tensed up. 

My parents had no idea that I was dating anyone, let alone a celebrity at that. I was worried that I'd give both of them a heart attack, especially because they knew who Gerard Butler was. They had always been aware of my crush on him, but I don't think they ever imagined I would be in love with him.

"Um, guys," I spoke up. "There's something you need to know."

Mom and Dad looked at me in unison. "What?" he asked, the familiar protectiveness shading his voice.

I shifted on my feet and said, "Well, I have someone with me who helped me get here in the first place, and he's waiting outside."

Mom sighed. "I told you to stay in England, by the way."

"Do you really think I would've stayed there?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "I'm just as stubborn as you are."

She opened her mouth to say something, but she quickly took it back and said nothing. Dad broke the silence by saying, "I know that look, Ellie. You're in love with this man."

I smiled sheepishly and nodded. "You could say that."

He nodded and processed my words. Then, "Bring him in."

I sucked in a breath. "Okay," I shook my head. "But this might give you another coronary."