Chapter 21

Gerard and I spent three more nights at the hotel before Joel told us we could come back. Charlotte had been fired from her job, and she was firmly told to never return to Pinewood Studios. 

As soon as we had arrived, we got back to work and acted like nothing had ever happened. Emmy and Gerard were going to film a scene for the movie, and he had personally asked me to come watch. Since I wasn't making any outfits at the time, I agreed to it.

I was standing behind the camera again with Joel, feeling more confident without Charlotte around. I could see Emmy getting her make-up fixed for the scene, and Gerard was standing further up front, looking as handsome as ever. 

His dark wig was combed back, and he was dressed in a simpler outfit. He still had his kind, smiling face, but I knew it was going to be an intense scene, so I braced myself for what was to come.

A few minutes later, the staff indicated they were ready to go, and Joel clapped in acknowledgement. He placed a hand on my shoulder and asked quietly, "Are you ready, my dear?"

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Let's do this."

"That's my girl," he smiled widely, patting me on the back. Then he said to the crew, "Ready? Three...two...one...action!"

A nearby clapboard snapped down, and I jumped a bit from the sudden sound. Crossing my arms, I watched the cameras in close observation.

"Cut!" Joel yelled, snapping me back into reality. "That was fantastic, you guys! Top-tier acting." A chorus of appreciative comments went up in the air.

He then turned over to me and asked softly, "Are you alright, Ellie? That seemed to really bother you."

I didn't even realize my breathing was ragged until I fully became aware of my surroundings again. I knew Gerard was only acting, but his quick change in behavior reminded me way too much of myself, and I hated that feeling of familiarity from someone I cared about so deeply.

I turned away from Joel and didn't answer his question.

Then, I saw Gerard coming my way, and I inhaled sharply. His beautiful face was shaped by a lovely grin that could light anyone's day up. "Hello, my Angel," he said, lifting me up by the waist and spinning me around. 

I let out an involuntary yelp at his sudden actions, but he quickly set me back down and placed a kiss in the center of my forehead. "What did you think of the scene?" he asked quietly.

I opened my mouth to say a little white lie, but nothing came out, and I could only say what I was thinking with my eyes. Gerard seemed to pick up on my anxiety, and he looked over my face in concern. "What's bothering you?" 

I didn't want to have to drag him away again, but I wanted to speak with him in private, so I shakily asked, "Do you have enough time between scenes to talk?"

"Of course," he nodded without hesitation. "Would you like to go to our hideout?"

"Yeah," I whispered.

"Okay. Let's go, then."

He took my hand and snuck us out, Phantom-style.

(Warning: intense make-out session)

Gerard opened the door to the dance studio and led me inside, keeping my sweaty hand firmly in his. There was nobody occupying the space, and I was relieved that we were alone. I didn't like it when other people saw my anxiety in full force.