Chapter 5

A few hours later, I had completed my first official outfit for The Phantom of the Opera, and I was beyond happy at the end result:

I knew that Emmy was going to look absolutely stunning in the outfit, but I was also hoping that she would like it as much as I did

I knew that Emmy was going to look absolutely stunning in the outfit, but I was also hoping that she would like it as much as I did. In fact, I hoped everybody liked it as much as I did.

I pushed off my anxious thoughts, however, and set it up in the middle of the room so that I wouldn't forget to present it the following day. While I was tidying my place up, however, another knock emerged on the door.

I wasn't as annoyed because I wasn't working, so I slipped into a relaxed posture and walked over to the door. I opened it, and Gerard was standing outside, making my heart stop for what felt like the millionth time.

"Hi," I greeted quietly, not fully meeting his eyes.

"Hello," he smiled. He brushed some hair out of his face and bounced on the heels of his feet, but his face lit up when he noticed the dress behind me.

"Did you make that?" Gerard asked, his tone astounded.

I nodded. "I just finished it. I'll be presenting it to Joel and Emmy tomorrow morning." I then moved out of the way so he could come in, and I closed the door behind us once he was inside. I did not want the dress to be spoiled to anyone else, but since Gerard was there, I figured I'd be polite and let him see it.

His green eyes moved along the dress, and he walked around in a circle to get a full view of it. My heart was beating so hard that I was afraid he could hear it, but Gerard seemed too distracted to pay any attention to my silent swooning.

Once he finished observing, he looked at me with a smile and said, "This is amazing, Ellie. Quite the first impression."

I glanced down bashfully and murmured, "Thanks. I hope it works for Joel and Emmy."

"Are you kidding?" Gerard scoffed. "This is the perfect outfit for the film. They're both going to be over the moon for this dress."

I smiled a bit and said nothing, the shyness weighing down on me like a freight train.

Seeming to sense my doubtfulness, he stepped over to me and said, "They're going to love it, Ellie. Believe me."

I glanced at him and said, "I appreciate your support, Gerard."

"Of course," he smiled softly. "We're like a family around here. We help each other, no matter what."

"That's good to know," I replied, looking down again. God, shyness sucked.

After a moment of silence, Gerard broke it by asking, "Are you working at all tonight?"

My heart rate quickened. "No," I said almost inaudibly.

He heard me, though, and a smile came on his face. "Would you like to come and listen to one of the songs? I'm going to be working on my part alone tonight."

I felt nervous to say yes, but I also owed him since I hadn't shown up twice, so I nodded my head and said, "Sure."

"Great," Gerard replied. "Let's go, then."

"Hold on a sec," I chuckled. "I need to put everything away first."

He laughed sheepishly and said, "Right. Sorry."

I smiled to myself while placing the materials back in their original spots, and Gerard waited patiently by the door with his arms behind his back.

Once I was finished, I grabbed my purse and walked to the door. "Alright, now let's go," I said, opening the door with a sly smirk on my face.

He smirked back and walked out, brushing my arm as he passed. I shivered involuntarily and took a deep breath to control myself from squealing out loud. 

I closed the door, locked it, then followed Gerard as he led me to the sound stage.