Chapter 26

(The song signifies the overwhelming emotions that Ellie is experiencing in this chapter).

I asked Gerard to take me back to the hotel so that I could pack up my belongings and head to Cleveland as soon as possible. He didn't hesitate a second, and he called Joel to let him know about what was going on. I had not heard their conversation, but it was clear that Joel had understood my situation and gave me permission to go, saying that I could use his personal jet to get to Cleveland.

I was practically moving like a cheetah as I stuffed my clothes and products into my large suitcase, sweating profusely. Gerard, being a true gentleman, helped me pack and called Kurt to drive me to the airport. 

The limo came up to the lobby of the hotel, and I threw my luggage into the trunk. I dived in the back seat with Gerard right behind me, speeding off in a cloud of smoke. My hands were shaking so violently that I had to grip onto Gerard's body tightly, but he didn't seem to care. His arms were securely around me, and he was kissing my head soothingly the whole way.

It felt like forever before we got to the airport, but it eventually appeared on the horizon, giving me the tiniest bit of relief. 

Once we found a parking spot, I stepped out of the car and grabbed my suitcase. Kurt came to the back and said, "I'm sorry I can't come with you, Ms. Parker."

I hugged him and kissed his cheek sweetly. "You've done more than enough for me, Kurt," I replied quietly. "I'm grateful to have you as a friend."

"Me too," he smiled. "Keep me updated, alright?"

"I will," I nodded.

He then hopped back into the car and drove off.

For a moment, I was saddened deeply, thinking that Gerard was still in the car and that I hadn't got to say goodbye to him. But when I turned around to get my luggage, it wasn't sitting on the road anymore. Instead, it was up on the curb and next to Gerard, who was standing there with a soft expression on his handsome face. 

Confused, I asked, "What're you still doing here? Did Kurt forget you were here?"

Gerard shook his head. "He's fully aware of my absence."

I tilted my head with furrowed brows. "What do you-" I stopped midsentence when the realization washed over me like a wave. 

He was going with me to Cleveland.

"No," I said firmly. "You're not coming."

"Why not?" Gerard asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"Because you have a job to do here!" I exclaimed, waving my arms around in emphasis. "You can't just leave because I have to."

"You're my girlfriend, Ellie," he stated calmly. "That means you're my responsibility, and I will hold up on that promise."

I shook my head. "Like I said, you're not coming. Now give me my suitcase." 

I reached out for it, but Gerard stubbornly pulled it away from me. A glare contorted my face as I pointedly told him with my eyes that he was not accompanying me to Cleveland. He, however, was having none of it.

With a frustrated groan, I asked, "Did you at least tell Joel about this?"

He nodded and replied, "He encouraged me to go with you."

I furrowed my brows. "What? Why?"

"Because he knows about our relationship," Gerard replied. "He told me, in his own words, to 'go and take care of you'."

My mouth opened and closed as I tried to process what he had just said. Joel was letting one of his main actors leave because he knew about our relationship? If that really was the case, then Joel had to be one of the greatest friends I had ever had. 

"You're serious?" I breathlessly asked.

"I would never lie to you, Ellie," Gerard said softly. "And even if he hadn't given me permission, I still would've come because of how much I love you."

The tears uncontrollably slipped from my eyes as his words sunk deep into my heart. He was willing to put his career on hold for me, and my brain couldn't even begin to process it. 

I let go of my stubbornness and hugged him tightly, burying my tear-stained face into his chest. "Damn it, Gerard," I muttered. "I couldn't resist you if I tried."

He kissed the top of my head delicately and said, "I promise I'll listen to your every word. This is your family, and I don't want to be in the way at all."

I pulled back and looked him straight in the eye. "You could never get in the way, Gerard. I'm sorry for being so stubborn."

"You don't need to apologize," Gerard replied. "I understand that you're scared right now, and I don't blame you for your behavior."

I smiled the tiniest bit and kissed his cheek. "Thank you for being here with me."

"Of course," he said, leaning his forehead on mine. "Let's get on that flight."

I nodded and grabbed the handle of my suitcase with one hand, then interlocked my other with Gerard's. He didn't let go of me once as we made our way to Joel's jet, which was parked in a special, personalized area for celebrities only.

The security led us there and kept the people back who recognized Gerard in the crowded areas. I was becoming overloaded with so much noise that I felt like I was going to explode, but we eventually made it to the jet and got on in record time.

Once we were onboard, I collapsed onto the small sofa and exhaled loudly. My body was depleted of energy, so I was ready to fall asleep at any moment. But before I could, Gerard kneeled down beside me and said, "There's a bedroom in the back if you'd like to sleep there."

I nodded in acknowledgement and slowly got up. He took my hand and pulled me gently behind him into the bedroom, where an inviting white bed waited for us. I didn't even bother to change as I plopped onto the bed ungracefully.

Gerard slipped in next to me and took my limp body into his comforting arms. My face landed on his clothed chest while he pressed a kiss to my forehead. "Get some rest, my Angel," he whispered. "You need it."

My eyelids were about to close, but I managed to say, "I love you."

"I love you more" was the last thing I heard before I fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.