Chapter 25

The day went by quick because of Gerard and I coming in so late, but I was alright with that. The faster the day went, the more time I could spend with him.

When the evening came, I was still working on a sketch for one of my outfits, but I was having a difficult time completing it. My mind was too focused on Gerard and how much I loved him.

See why you shouldn't have fallen in love! the annoying voice chided in my head. Now you're distracted and useless to the team.

But I was too happy to let that thought mingle with my emotions, so I pushed it off and decided to head to the dance studio. Maybe I could think of some ideas there.

Ten minutes later, I managed to finish my sketch with precision, and I stood up to leave since my job was done. When I stepped out from under the little tent, I heard a familiar, charming voice say, "Well, well. If it isn't the queen herself."

I jumped a bit at Gerard's sudden presence, but I quickly calmed myself down and glanced behind me. He was standing in the doorway, wearing the suit that I recognized from when we had first danced.

He looked like a Disney prince that had come to life right before my eyes, and I loved it.

"Someone's nice and fresh," I smiled. "You look amazing."

"So do you," Gerard said back, moving his eyes up and down my body.

I was only wearing jeans and a T-shirt, but I shyly took the compliment. "Thanks. I don't usually get dressed up, even though I'm a outfit designer. It's weird, I know."

"I don't think that's weird," he shook his head. "I actually find that sweet. You're so focused on making other people look good that you don't even focus on your own appearance."

I shrugged and said, "I mean, that's one way to look at it, but it's more because the fancy outfits are uncomfortable on my skin."

Gerard laughed and nodded. "That makes sense too."

He then stepped in my direction and gestured for me to come over. I quickly obliged and stood close enough to him so that our chests were touching. His black wig was perfectly straight, and he looked like royalty to me.

"I still can't believe I'm dating you," I chuckled. "I never thought in a million years that the most beautiful man ever was going to spot and like me."

Gerard smiled and wrapped an arm around my waist. "Believe it, my darling. I'm standing right here with you."

I leaned my head onto his shoulder and breathed in his cologne. He smelled like pine, which was my favorite scent in the world. Seriously, how did this man know my every weakness? He seemed to have read me like an open book, and he probably wasn't even trying for it.

Just as I was about to kiss him, I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, and I reluctantly stopped my movements. I fished it out and looked at the screen, which said there were sixteen missed calls. That's odd, I thought with furrowed brows.

Pressing my mom's number, I held my phone up to my ear and waited.

After one ring, Mom answered with, "Ellie? Is that you?"

She sounded out of breath, making my stomach churn uncomfortably. "What's happened?" I asked worriedly, knowing exactly what her tone was.

Fear.

I heard a deep breath on the other side, then she said, "Your father's had a heart attack."

My breathing stopped, and my own heart dropped to my feet. I could literally feel my skin turning pale as I croaked, "What?"

Gerard glanced over at me and tilted his head confusedly. "What's wrong?" he asked, putting his hand on my arm.

I didn't answer him, but Mom almost seemed to do so when she said, "He's in the hospital right now, getting the best care possible. I'm not sure yet of his recovery process."

My mouth quivered as hot tears stung the edges of my eyes. "I'll get on the first plane to Cleveland," I said, standing up.

"No, Ellie," she replied. "You're staying in England. I can take care of your father."

"I am not going to leave you there alone," I said back. "You need help with him."

"You have a job to do there," Mom stated. "This is your future, and I will not take you away from it." She hung up with a firm click!

I stared at the phone in shock, fear, and dread. Why doesn't she want me there?

Gerard looked at me with worried eyes and brought me back to reality when he asked, "Ellie, what's going on?"

I placed my hand on my chest, but I could barely feel my skin because of how numb and hollow I felt. I stared at the horizon and said robotically, "My father's had a heart attack."

He quickly put his arms around my torso and pulled me into a tight embrace. "Oh my God," Gerard muttered into my hair. "Ellie, I'm so sorry."

I buried my face into his chest and sobbed loudly. What was I going to do?