Chapter 12

I came to Pinewood Studios with a surge of self-confidence the next day. I wasn't going to let anyone bring me down, no matter what anybody said to me. 

At 10:30, I began my work on the "Masquerade" outfit, and I finished it by 3:55. I liked it even more than the white gown, and that was saying something. I set the gloves and heels on the right of the mannequin, where the outfit was straightened and ready to go.

I carefully set it up by my window to not only indicate that I had completed another outfit, but that I had done a better job than Charlotte ever could have. What do you think about that? I thought with a triumphant smirk.

A few minutes later, my phone pinged with a message, and I looked to see who it was. Joel had texted me and said to "come to the sound stage for a special performance of 'Masquerade'" that was going to have everybody there. 

I groaned loudly. Bad idea, a voice said. If everybody's there, then Gerard and Charlotte are there.

I contemplated my choices, thinking hard of what was the best route, which was obviously not showing up. But a little fragment of my heart said that I should go, even if it was for just a brief moment.

With a large sigh, I gave into my heart and headed to the sound stage, but I was going to be extra careful that nobody saw me while I was there. Just stay in the back and you'll be fine.

I took a deep breath when I got to the double doors, and then I opened them, not making a lot of noise. Hundreds of staff members and cast were filling the room once again, and I slid my way to a corner way in the back so that I wouldn't be even acknowledged by someone.

After 5 minutes of trying to stay calm, Joel called out to everyone from the stage and quieted them down. "Alright, lads," he smiled, spreading out his arms wide. "You ready to see some magic here?"

A chorus of Yes's emerged from everybody, all except me. Don't make a sound.

When the noise died down again, Emmy, her co-star Patrick Wilson, and the ensemble cast gathered on the stage and began to perform "Masquerade". My heart wrenched at the thought of seeing Gerard when it got to his singing part, and I harshly bit my lip.

Keep it together, I told myself. Don't let him get to you.

Suddenly, I saw movement out of the corner of my eyes, and when I turned to see who it was, my shoulders tensed. 

Charlotte was standing right next to me with her arms folded behind her back, and her hair was up in a tight bun. She looked like she was some sort of general in the military, and I rolled my eyes. Oh, please.

Seeming not to notice me, Charlotte stared straight ahead, watching the performance. I wasn't even focusing on the song as I slowly side-stepped away from her. But, of course, she noticed me and said, "Oh hey, Ellie. What're you doing here? Shouldn't you be mopping up the floors somewhere else?"

I clenched my jaw and ignored her, trying to focus on the song instead. She, however, had other plans. "I noticed that you were absent yesterday. Is anything the matter?"

"None of your business, Ms. Banks," I responded through gritted teeth, not looking at her.

"Did it have something to do with Gerard?" Charlotte pressed. 

My composure faltered slightly, but I said nothing.

I then heard her gasp loudly and exclaim, "Oh my God. It did! You're in love with him, aren't you?"

I shook my head and said firmly, "No. I'm not."

"Denial," she said in a sing-song voice. "That's always the first sign."

I finally looked at her and shot out, "What would you know? I doubt anyone could ever love someone as vile as you."

Charlotte's expression changed then, and I was a bit terrified at the anger blazing in her eyes, but I held my ground. 

"He'd prefer me over anyone who appears like this," she gestured to me with disgust. "You're so ugly I can barely look at you."

Tears welled in my eyes, but I refused to give in. I would not let her win.

She noticed my vulnerability, smirked wickedly, and asked, "Did he reject you, Ellie? Is that what this is about?"

Charlotte's face was inches from mine, and I stared her down as hard as I could without crumbling. Her green eyes were triumphant, as if she could already tell that I was going to lose. But right before I fell apart, a curse and a blessing fell on me at the same time: "What is going on here?"

(To be continued)