Prologue

I couldn't believe my eyes as I read over the paper twice: "Congratulations, you have been accepted as the third and final costume designer for The Phantom of the Opera. Your plane will be headed for England in three days, and you will be expected at 10 A.M. for the flight. Sincerely, Joel Schumacher."

The scream of pure joy that grew in my chest became so large that I had to squeal instead in order to not sound like a madwoman to my neighbors in the apartment complex. My feet, however, were too happy to stay still, so I ran around in circles until I couldn't breathe anymore.

I had done it. The job was mine, and nothing could change that.

I was going to be a costume designer for a huge movie production, with some of the biggest names working in it, including my long-time celebrity crush, Gerard Butler. He and his co-star, the amazingly talented Emmy Rossum, were going to be the leads, while Patrick Wilson, Miranda Richardson, and Minnie Driver were going to be the supporting cast.

To know that I was a part of it made me unbelieving, but I quickly reminded myself that it was very real, and that it was a seriously important job. The thought made me anxious, but I immediately brushed it off and grabbed my cell phone to call my parents.

They were going to be thrilled.