Chapter 29

After we spent a few more hours at the hospital, Gerard went to a nearby hotel and arranged two rooms for me and my mom to stay at while my dad was recovering. My mother had insisted that it wasn't necessary, but he was too kind to not do something for us, so she had gone along with it. 

Since Mom and I were both exhausted, Dad had told us to get some sleep. We protested heavily, but he assured us that he was in good hands with the nurses and doctors, so we eventually backed off. 

Gerard took us to the hotel and dropped my mom off at her room a few doors down. He had already brought my luggage to the room that we were both sharing, so I instantly started to put my clothes in the closet and my other products in the bathroom.

I knew I was going to crash at any moment, but I had to get my things organized before I did. Some people thought I had OCD because of my intense organizational skills, but I simply replied that I was a "neat freak", and there was nothing more to it.

Once I had finished up my handiwork, I walked over to the large floor-to-ceiling window, which gave a splendid view of my hometown. It had been three years since I had moved from Cleveland to New York, and the homesickness I had felt only a couple of days prior disappeared in an instant. I took a deep breath, held it in for a moment, then released it with a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth. 

Suddenly, Gerard hugged me from behind and rested his chin on my shoulder. "This place is beautiful," he said softly. 

"It is," I nodded, leaning into his chest. "I haven't been here since I left for New York three years ago, so it's nice to be back."

After a moment, he kissed the side of my head and asked, "How are you doing?"

"Better," I replied. "I'm probably going to stay here until I know for sure that my dad's going to be okay."

He smiled. "And that's the reason why I love you. You always think about others before yourself."

I shrugged and said, "That was my parents' doing. They taught me to behave like a good citizen, so you should be thanking them, not me."

"Don't worry, I will," Gerard reassured. "But for right now, I'll settle on you since you're the closest."

I chuckled lightly and turned around to face him. His green eyes were soft, and his expression was kind, making my heart flutter. But the moment ended when a sudden thought popped into my head, and I nervously asked, "Are you staying here, or are you going to leave?"

Seeing the shift on my face, he leaned down and kissed my head comfortingly. "I'm staying, Ellie," he replied. "I would never leave you at a time like this."

I bit my lip to hold back the tears that were forming in my eyes, but he quickly wiped them away with his thumb and hugged me tightly. "Take me to bed, please," I whispered into his chest.

Gerard nodded and carried me to the bed, pressing a gentle kiss to my forehead as he laid me down on the sheets. He then moved to the other side and slid his shirt off, setting it on the floor next to him. Slowly, he climbed in next to me and covered us both with the blanket.

I scooted closer and cuddled into him, running my hands along his warm skin. "Thank you for being here, Gerard."

He smiled softly and kissed my head. "You're welcome."

I fell asleep almost immediately to the rhythmic sound of his breathing. 

The next morning, I was awakened by gentle caresses and kisses from Gerard, making my face turn a bright shade of red. "Good morning," I greeted with a small giggle.

His warm breath fanned across my shoulder as he chuckled and said, "Hello, beautiful."

Beautiful? That was a new one.

I turned and looked at him with raised eyebrows. "What do you want?" I asked playfully.

"Nothing," Gerard replied defensively, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "Can't a man call his woman beautiful?"

"Sure," I shrugged. "But the fact that it was so sudden makes me think that you want something."

He rolled his eyes and smirked. "You're impossible, Ellie."

"But you love me," I said, making a cheesy grin.

"I do," he whispered, his gaze soft.

I leaned forward and kissed him. His arms came around my waist as he pushed me closer and deepened the kiss. Everything about Gerard was picture-perfect, and I knew I had lucked out with someone as amazing as him.

He pulled away for a moment and looked at me. "I wanted to ask you something, if that's alright."

"Okay," I nodded. "What about?"

He traced my jawline with his fingers, sending chills down my spine, then said, "After we're done making Phantom of the Opera, I was wondering if you'd...like to move in with me."

My eyes widened, and my mouth gaped open. "M-move in with you?" I stuttered out in shock.

"You don't have to if you don't want to," Gerard responded quickly. "I understand if it might be too much for you."

I melted at his gentlemanly demeanor, but I felt nervous. What would my parents think of the idea? Would they approve or not?

With a sigh, I said, "I'll have to talk to my parents about it, Gerard. I hope you don't mind that."

"No, I get it," he replied understandingly, kissing my head to prove it. "I would never do anything behind your parents' back, let alone something that might make you uncomfortable."

I stroked his warm chest and said, "You have no idea how much I want to live with you. The thought of being with you is...indescribable."

"Oh, darling," Gerard sighed. "You're the only woman I'd ever want to be with. I cannot imagine a life without your beautiful smile and your kind heart."

His words struck a chord deep within me, and I snuggled closer to him. "I couldn't imagine a life without you, either," I mumbled, pressing a kiss to his chest. "You're all I've ever wanted."

He kissed the top of my head and held me. "Even if they don't approve, we'll find a way to be together. I promise."

I smiled to myself and wrapped my arms around his neck.