Lacuna

Defined as: a blank space, a missing part

••••••••••
I walk in and Jisoo takes us up to 2 bedrooms.

One is a large bed in a room and another is a makeshift mattress on the floor.

Jisoo points to the room with a makeshift mattress. "That's yours. I moved RJ's bed from there into mine."

I nod slowly. "Sure. Is RJ the little girl?"

Jisoo's expression looks tenser if that's even possible. "Yes. My daughter RJ, Ruby Jane."

I nod. "That's beautiful. Are you a single mom?"

She stares at me and crosses her arms. "Yes."

"Did you adopt RJ?" I assume quickly.

Jisoo swallows and I see her eyes roam over my face. "You haven't aged at all."

I smile. "Since I was 18? I think I changed a bit. I hope I didn't get plastic surgery or anything."

I hear the door to my parents' room close.

"Maybe it would've been easier had you looked uglier," she says and my jaw drops.

"Did you just....Did you—"

"Get over it," she mutters and walks closer to me. She points and her finger digs into my shoulder. "You better not be fucking with me Jennie because I can make your life a living hell if I wanted to."

Then she turns around and walks away.

I stand there long after Jisoo leaves, still trying to process the fact that she's not the same sweet girl that I knew in high school.

Yet she still knows me after all these years....

And I fucked up....baaaaaadly.

•••••••••••

My mattress on the floor isn't that bad. The blanket is cozy so that's a plus.

I fell asleep for some time because of how tired I was from no sleep and luckily no nightmare memories plagued me. But no dreams did either.

I wake up and rub my eyes as I walk out and I see RJ lying on her stomach near the bannister.

I smile and lay down on my stomach next to her. I whisper, "Whatch ya doin'?"

She jumps and looks at me. I hold my hand out with a big smile. "Hi. I'm Jennie," I say, keeping my whisper.

She looks at my face for a few moments like her mom and shakes my hand. "I'm RJ."

I nod and she turns back to look between the poles in the bannister. I follow her gaze and see Jisoo talking with my parents very seriously.

"What do you think they're talking about?" I ask RJ.

She shrugs. "I don't know," she whispers. "But I hope it's not because I'm in trouble."

I shake my head. "I'm probably in trouble."

"Why?" She asks curiously.

"Because it's my parents and your mom."

RJ nods. "Oh. Did you do anything wrong?"

I shake my head. "I don't know. I woke up one day as myself and now people are telling me I'm 34 and a great ice skater."

RJ nods. "Huh. Are you 34? You don't look old."

I give a fake gasp. "34 isn't old RJ!"

She giggles and it makes me feel warm and cuddly. "How old are you?"