Agelast

Defined as: someone who never laughs

••••••••••
I stand in line like everyone else and I wait for people to call out the names for people that made it on the team.

The girl next to me smiles and holds her hand out, "Hi, I just wanted to say that you skate really good. I saw you during try outs."

I grin. "Thank you! I'm really sorry I didn't see you but I'm sure you did amazing!"

Coach Inna skates on the ice and I stand up straighter.

She starts calling names.

"Jessica."

"Sandra."

"Winifred."

"Lily."

The girl next to me skates behind the coach.

"Laura."

"Quincy. That's all. Thank you to everyone that came."

I see the girls beside me look disappointed but I'm just frowning because she isn't even telling us why we didn't make it on the team.

I follow the Coach off the ice and I ask quickly, "Can I speak with you?"

Inna turns around. "Yes?"

"Why didn't I make the team?" I ask. "Can I know what I did wrong?"

She glances once at the girls doing a free skate on the ice. She looks back at me and says, "I'll just list them off: You're too fat. You're not flexible enough. You've got skill but I'm not taking on an overweight girl. You'll just slow down the others." Then she turns around and leaves.

I blink in surprise. I never expected that my weight would ever be an issue. It wasn't an issue in high school or college either.

I always knew I was overweight but I was never uncomfortable about it.

Now it's whether I want to change and prove her wrong or leave and continue to be myself.

Inna didn't expect one thing though.

It's that I'm extremely competitive. And I'm going to prove to her that I deserve a spot on the team.

••••••••••

I feel water splash on my face and I blink my eyes open.

"Oh look! The Sleeping Beauty woke up!" Jisoo says sarcastically.

I smile as I open my eyes. "Did you just call me beautiful? Thank you Jisoo!" I reach out and hold her cheek.

She stays for the barest moment against my hand. Her eyes searching mine to look for what might've happened before pulling away and standing up.

She closes the water bottle and hands it back to the receptionist. "The woman is under confidentiality for knowing you're here. Not many people care who you are but she might and we don't want much media attention. I'll get her to sign an NDA."

I nod. "How long was I out?" I ask as I stand up.

"Just a few minutes. Nothing major. It wasn't a panic attack. You just passed out," she explains.

I nod and say, "It's a bit weird though when I pass out."

She frowns. "Hold that thought. I'll go print the NDA for her to sign and then I'll come back."

She runs off while looking into her phone and I sit in one of the sofas nearby, thinking about Jisoo's weird expression when I looked at her.

I never saw her look at me like that, even in high school. She looked....distrustful almost. As if she wasn't sure whether I was lying or not.