Quab

Defined as: something immature; something unfinished

••••••••••
"Jennie. What are you even doing all this for?" My roommate, Jackie, asks. "You've been at this for nearly 5 months."

I do a sit up. "When I accomplish my goal, I'll tell you."

"You have been barely going out too. You alternate between coursework and working out. You even stopped sharing your chocolates! I miss them!"

I do another sit up. "I'm trying to prove someone wrong."

"Whatever dude. Just be....healthy. Don't go insane. You still have a life."

I just nod and she leaves our dorm.

The dream shifts.

I'm now standing in front of the desk of Coach Inna.

"Yes?" She asks rudely.

I tighten my jaw but I stay quiet. "I deserve to be on that team. You said I had skill. You said I didn't have the flexibility nor the body to do the sport. Well...." I drop my physicals in front of her. "I dropped 20 pounds in 8 months. I can do every flexible stretch you want me to do. I want to be on the team."

She looks at my physicals. "It's too late to join. We have a synchronized team ready for competition in two months. I can't add you now and change the choreography."

She stands up. "The answer is no. And I won't have a Korean on the team."

I cross my arms. "So there it is. You're racist. You know that 2 months is enough to add a person. Someone did it last—" I take a deep breath. "So what if I'm Korean? I work hard. I'm willing to push myself to my limits to prove you wrong. You're saying that I can't skate?"

I uncross my arms and drop my hands into fists on my sides. "I proved you wrong once. I can do it again."

••••••••••

"Jennie! Jennie!" I hear someone whisper and push me very softly.

I blink and turn to my side to see RJ. "Wake up or Mama is going to get mad at you!"

I sigh and rub my eyes. "What's the time?"

"7:45. You have time to get ready now! Wake up!" RJ whispers hurriedly again.

I sit up and stretch my arms up while yawning.

I hear RJ giggle. I smile tiredly and look at her. "Why are you laughing?"

She shakes her head. "You look like a cat when you do that."

I raise an eyebrow with a teasing smile. "Do I? Maybe I was a cat. Who knows? I could've turned human."

She gasps and covers her small hands over her cheeks in excitement. "Really?!"

Shoot. Now I feel bad.

I shrug. "I don't think I'll turn back but—" I grin and start to crawl forward like a cat across the bed.

She giggles again and I wrap my arms around her and her laughter is infectious. I laugh too as I hug her in my lap and she tries to escape.