Chapter 15

At exactly 5 p.m., I invited Joel and Emmy over to my station so that they could see my latest creation. It was still set by the window, so they immediately saw it when they walked up. Emmy's beautiful face broke into a grin, and Joel looked like he was about to faint, but in a good way.

Bursting through the door, Joel exclaimed, "My God, Ellie! How did you even begin to make this?"

I laughed and replied, "A designer never shares her secrets, Joel. Surely, you must know that."

He pouted like a child, and Emmy chimed in by saying, "You are our clothing savior!" 

She stepped over and wrapped her long arms around my torso, hugging me tightly. When she pulled back, she asked politely, "May I try it on?"

"By all means!" I carefully took the outfit off of the mannequin and gave it to her while I held the gloves in my hands. Emmy stepped behind the curtain with the costume, and I gave her the gloves. "Thank you, darling," she said with a warm voice.

She was so sweet.

Five minutes later, Emmy said she was ready, and before she came out, Joel said, "Let's see our 'Angel'."

She pushed open the curtain, and my jaw dropped to the floor. 

Emmy Rossum was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life, and the outfit complimented her features so well that she disappeared into the role of Christine easily. Joel had the same expression as me, and I almost burst out laughing because of it.

"How do I look?" she said, striking a dramatic pose.

"Like an angel," Joel and I said in unison, which made the three of us break out in laughter until our stomachs were hurting. Once we could speak, Emmy said, "You've done it again, Ellie. You truly are the best costume designer I have ever seen."

My cheeks flushed at the compliment, and I let out a shy "Thank you" in response. She then glanced over at Joel and asked, "Can we do the scene in this outfit? I feel it works better than Charlotte's."

The mention of her name made my jaw clench, but I quickly composed myself without them noticing. Joel nodded and said, "I think that's a good idea."

Emmy smiled. "What do you think, Ellie?"

 I tried my hardest to keep the triumphant smirk out of my voice when I replied, "I'm cool with that."

Emmy and Joel shared a glance, and then he asked, "Would you like to watch the scene while it's being filmed?"

My face lit up. "Really? You'd let me watch?"

"Of course," Emmy grinned. "It's the least we can do after all you've provided for us."

I looked between the two of them, and I responded with, "I would love to."

The scene was going to be filmed at the sound stage, and it looked like a completely different place with all the people filling it up. Brightly colored outfits surrounded me as actors walked by, and everybody had different types of masks on.

I made my way through the maze with Joel dragging me by the hand, and we eventually settled behind a camera set that had three separate screens for him to monitor while the scene was happening. I looked around for Gerard, but I could not spot him in the sea of moving bodies.

"All right," Joel called out. "We ready?" 

"Yes," everyone said at once.

"Good," Joel exclaimed, giving a thumbs-up. Then, "Ready. And...action!"

After the red light had turned on to indicate it was being filmed, everything became a overwhelming, colorful blur. 

Emmy and Patrick danced their way around the room, while Minnie Driver and Miranda Richardson said their lines for most of the scene. I finally got a glimpse of Gerard, who was sitting off to the side and watching as well. The crowd seemed to be drawn to Emmy's presence as Christine, and I don't think they were just acting.

She was, indeed, "The Angel of Music".

I enjoyed it for the most part, but my experience was dampened a bit when I saw Charlotte among the staff members. Her pretty face was contorted into a scowl, partially my doing, but I also suspected she was jealous of Emmy and her talents.

Good. Let her be upset.

The scene finished with just as the Phantom was about to take his place at the top of the stairs, and everybody clapped vigorously, including me. 

Joel excitedly went to the middle of the floor to compliment their work. But just as I was about to step out, Emmy whispered something into Joel's ear, and he said aloud, "Ellie, where are you at?"

I froze mid-step, my body going numb in seconds. Not this again, I pleaded. I don't do well with attention. I thought that Joel might move on from me, but he kept insisting that I come out and introduce myself to the people who did not know me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Charlotte wickedly grinning at my freeze-up. She was loving every second of it. 

My heart was vibrating against my ribs, and I almost ran out before a glove came around my hand. I jumped at the sudden contact, but instantly relaxed when I saw Gerard's masked face looking at me. "Are you okay?" he mouthed, his expression concerned.

I rapidly shook my head with sweat sliding down my face. I mouthed shakily, "I need to leave."

Gerard nodded and immediately took action. He got Joel's attention by walking over to him and saying something that would convince him to let me leave. Worry lined Joel's face, and he nodded in approval at whatever Gerard had asked of him.

He thanked him, rushed back over to me, and grabbed my hand again. "Let's go," he mouthed, pulling me behind him. 

I chanced a look back to see what Charlotte was doing, but she had disappeared like a ghost, leaving me unsettled.