CHAPTER XII: Opening Shot (Castiel)

CASTIEL

CASTIEL

I HAD somewhat expected that Alaric the Prick would try to impeach Priam in one way or another. First, he and his party believed that my president did not have any mandate to lead because the latter failed to win majority of the votes. Nanalo kasi si Priam dahil sa technicality at disqualification ng frontrunner. They were calling him "Mr. President" to his face, but they were whispering words such as "illegitimate" and "usurper" behind his back.

Second, if I was right about him, Alaric the Prick might attempt to drag Priam off the throne and take it for himself. Obvious na obvious ang galawan niya lalo na't sabay niyang gustong ipa-impeach ang president at VP. After the vice president, he was next in the line of succession so he would benefit the most from the impeachment.

What caught me by surprise was how he managed to get an ammunition that he was about to fire at us. Kasalanan ko. Masyado akong nagpadalos-dalos. Charge to experience. I could spend my time thinking what I could have done better, but that would be moot now. Ang mas importante ay ang mga ganap ngayon at kung paano ako magre-react sa sitwasyon.

So here we are, making history again.

The impeachment trial was set on a time and date convenient to all parties—on a Friday at five in the afternoon. The center table of the committee was rearranged to resemble a vertically flipped U. May standard desk at upuan sa gitna kung saan uupo ang tatawagan witness. May dalawang magkatapat na mahabang mesa malapit sa gallery kung saan uupo kami at ang mang-uusig sa amin.

If I could be perfectly honest, this was nothing but a kangaroo court. But we had to attend because the process demanded us to do so. Priam, Valeria, and I sat at one of the long tables with our chosen defender. Hindi kami required dumalo lalo na't wala pa sa amin ang isasalang sa witness stand. But we promised full cooperation so we got to walk the talk.

"The impeachment court is now in session," Alaric the Prick declared before striking the gavel. Feel na feel talaga niya ang pagiging hari na maghahatol sa amin. He must have been waiting so long for this moment. "The Student Ombudsman may now deliver his opening statement."

"Thank you, Mr. Chair." A guy with slicked back hair from the other table got to his feet and made his way to the center of the room. His tall shadow was cast over us as he walked past our table. "One of the grounds for impeachment is any form of misconduct that undermines the integrity of the council . . ."

Such a shame that we found ourselves on opposite sides of the fence. Kayneth Palacio, a fourth year Political Science student and Priam's senior, used to be our ally. Not a staunch one, but he fought with us and for us. Siya ang nilapitan namin para igiit na dapat i-disqualify ang frontrunner noong huling student council election dahil sa isang technicality.

I reached out to him a few days ago, just to see if I could get some concessions . . . and for him not to make our unfortunate situation more difficult than it already was. Pinuntahan ko siya sa library kung saan siya mahilig tumambay kapag lunch break.