CHAPTER XXII: Nuclear Option (Reynard)

REYNARD

REYNARD

THE SAD part about fun moments was that they had to end at some point. Kung sanang may option para sa i-extend, isa na ako sa mga nag-avail n'on. This impeachment trial was no doubt a Christmas present to the campus press craving for some drama and action in the university. Mas madalang pa sa leap year ang opportunity na 'to kaya talagang tutok ang bawat student pub sa mga development.

Today was the dreaded verdict day. Matapos ang shocking resignation ni Valeria Encarnacion bilang vice president, isinubmit na ng Student Ombudsman for resolution ang impeachment case laban kay Priam Torres. Yeah, he was now the only one being impeached because Encarnacion's case was already moot and academic. Kahit inako na ng VP niya ang responsabilidad, puwede pa ring ituloy ng LEXECOM ang pagpapatalsik kay Mr. President.

"Now, the committee will vote on the impeachment of Priam Torres, president of the University Student Council," Alaric Esteban announced after banging the gavel. "The roll will be called based on the alphabetical arrangement of the college's acronyms, with the presiding officer voting last. Say aye if you're in favor of impeachment. Say nay if you're against."

So he wants to have the last say, huh? That was gonna add more suspense to the impeachment finale!

"Avrille Mae Padilla of the College of Allied Medical Professions?"

"Nay. I strongly believe that the president has no knowledge of the coercion and has not committed an impeachable offense, as supported by the vice president's statement."

"Baron Tuviera of the College of Arts and Sciences?"

"Aye. The vice president has claimed responsibility, but the president must, too. That's only just and fair."

"Mason Urbina of the College of Computer Studies?"

"Aye. The president must be held ultimately accountable for all actions of his officers, regardless of his awareness."

"Jaegar Estrada of the College of Criminal Justice Education?"

"Aye. Kung ano'ng sinabi ng dalawang nauna sa 'kin, gano'n din ako."

"Nolan Ramirez of the College of Engineering and Architecture?"

"Aye. We must make example that no one is above the law, not even the USC president."

"Eleanor Domingo of the College of Education?"

"Nay. Impeaching the incumbent president will only set a dangerous precedent."

"Felicity David of the College of Fine Arts and Design?"

"Nay. The president deserves to be retained."

"Owen Navarro of the College of Nursing?"

"Aye. It's a difficult decision to make, but I agree with my colleagues to hold the president accountable."