NEWS UPDATE: 6 OUT OF 10 STUDENTS IN FAVOR OF OUSTING USC PRES, VP

6 OUT OF 10 STUDENTS IN FAVOR OF OUSTING USCPRES, VP
by Clarence Alfonso

MAJORITY OF the student body support the impeachment of embattled University Student Council (USC) President Priam Torres and Vice President Valeria Encarnacion, according to The Herald's survey.

A recent poll reveals that six out of 10 students want the top two student-leaders removed from office, three prefer them retained, and only one is undecided. This is the first poll conducted by The Herald since the impeachment trial began.

The recent revelations in the second hearing swayed the opinion of most respondents. Ombudsman Kayneth Palacio presented an audio clip by Chevy Serrano, the resigned College Student Council (CSC) chairperson of the College of Computer Studies, who managed to record his conversation with Encarnacion and USC Chief-of-Staff Castiel Seville.

"The audio recording speaks for itself," said a student who spoke under the condition of anonymity. "They forced a CSC officer to vote in their favor in exchange for not exposing him. That's enough for me to support their removal."

"They managed to strongarm a CSC chairperson," said another student who spoke in anonymity. "Kung nagawa nila 'yon, paniguradong may iba pa silang nagawa na kuwestiyonable."

However, some students preferred to wait and see before finally deciding whether to support impeachment or not.

"The jury's still out," said a student who also spoke under the condition of anonymity. "Hindi pa na-o-authenticate 'yong audio clip kaya hindi pa natin masasabi na totoong may matibay na ebidensya. It could be fake."

"I will wait until the trial is over," another student said. "Masyadong premature kung magde-decide na ako ngayon kahit ongoing pa ang mga hearing."

While everyone is waiting for impeachment updates, a third year Architecture student is leading a movement to call for Torres' resignation.

"Kung merong delicadeza si Priam, magre-resign na siya kahit hindi pa tapos ang trial," Bellatrix Yalung said during a lightning rally in front of the admin building. "We don't need to impeach both the president and VP. We just need to kick out the president because the buck stops with him. Let Valeria lead!"

Since the start of the impeachment trial, Torres' approval rating has taken a hit, dropping from 55-percent to 42-percent.

"We urge everyone to stay calm and hold off their judgment until the trial is over," USC Press Secretary Rowan Oronce said during a media briefing. "Huwag nating pangunahan ang mga hearing. The truth will come to light eventually."

The impeachment trial is set to resume this week.

#