CHAPTER LXVII: Shots Fired (Castiel)

CASTIEL

CASTIEL

IF I had a gun with me, I might shoot without any warning, as long as I deemed my target worthy of being shot. Why tell someone that something was coming their way when you could surprise them instead? But for some reason, I chose to do the opposite. I chose to give a warning before shooting someone.

It had been weeks since I resumed presiding the LEXECOM sessions. Masyadong na-enjoy ni Alaric the Prick ang pagiging chair pro tempore na akala niya yata'y sa kaniya na ang upuan ko. He could have my swivel chair, but I would keep the gavel. Fortunately, I did not have to ask him to leave. Siya mismo ang kusang tumayo at bumalik sa upuan niya.

As a precaution, I disinfected not only my chair, but also the gavel held by his filthy hands soaked in dirt and blood. I might get bacteria from him that could eat up what remained of my soul.

When the session for today ended, I remained seated in my little throne. I asked Daphne, who accompanied me here, to go ahead and return to the USC office. Everyone at the decagonal table and in the gallery left, except for one person: Alaric the Prick. He asked his partymates to leave without him. Like me, he also stayed in his seat. None of us stood or even moved an inch for a minute or two.

My shaking left hand clawed at my left leg as a jolt of pain coursed through it. The feeling was more intense now that I was alone with him. Those who knew my beef with this prick would never advise me to be in the same room as this guy. Mas gugustuhin nilang may kasama ako rito. But the conversation that was about to take place would be best handled with only the two of us.

After another minute of silence, he swiveled his chair backward and got to his feet. As usual, a smug look was painted on his pale face. My left eye twitched more intensely as he moved closer.

I raised my head and flicked my gaze up to him as he halted on my left. "How may I be of assistance, Mr. Vice President?"

"Oh, please." I scoffed. "Drop the pretenses, Alaric. We're the only ones in this room. No audience. No cameras. There's no need to feign respect."

He sat at the edge of the table, crossing his arms. His silver eyes looked down on me. His cold, murderous eyes. If I was intimidated by him, his gaze would have sent shivers down my spine. "I have classes at six. So if you have anything important to say . . ."

"Before the impeachment trial, you were so merciful and benevolent that you offered us a way out," I reminded him as I grabbed my cane from my right. Dapat handa ako sakaling kailangan ko siyang hampasin nito. "I thought of returning the favor."

"Favor?" His lips twisted into a smirk. "Can you enlighten me?"

"Reject the nomination of your party for the USC presidency, and repent your sins." I stared straight into his eyes. "Otherwise, get ready to be ruined."

He returned my stare for a few beats before throwing his head back in laughter. His annoying laugh echoed in the empty session hall. I looked unamused at him and waited for him to calm down.