NEWS UPDATE: CBA-CSC CHAIR TOPS VP BETS

CBA-CSC CHAIR TOPS VP BETSby Clarence Alfonso

by Clarence Alfonso

THE LEADER of the opposition party AEGIS and chairperson of CBA-CSC, Alaric Esteban, is the top pick for the now vacant vice presidential spot in the University Student Council (USC), according to The Herald's poll.

Forty-four percent preferred Esteban to be the next vice president. He was followed by CAMP-CSC Chairperson Avrille Mae Padilla with 28 percent. Surprisingly, 19 percent answered Theater Arts student Fabienne Lucero. Only nine percent were undecided.

Esteban, also leader of the majority bloc and chair pro tempore of the Legislative-Executive Committee (LEXECOM), presided over the impeachment trial of USC President Priam Torres and VP Valeria Encarnacion. The case failed to prosper as it fell short of one vote in the committee.

Padilla, leader of the minority bloc, is a staunch ally of the USC. She also chairs the SALVo party which has supported all of their agenda in the LEXECOM.

Lucero, an unexpected choice, is the female star of the upcoming Romeo and Juliet play and the so-called First Lady of Torres. Despite coming in third, she has not held any elective position in the student government.

The survey, conducted two days after Encarnacion's resignation, had 900 respondents from the nine colleges.

The USC has not issued any statement on Torres' VP pick. The candidate will have to secure the approval of the LEXECOM, acting as the Committee on Appointments. A simple majority—or five out of nine votes—is needed to confirm the next VP.

#

And we're officially entering the VEEPSTAKE ARC! Who do you think will be the new USC vice president?

Unfortunately, no regular update today (01/31/24).  The next chapter will be posted tomorrow!