CHAPTER XXXIV: Four Candies (Castiel)

CASTIEL

CASTIEL

BEING THE vice president was not on my bucket list. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine myself taking the oath of office and being too close to the presidency. Mas gusto kong magtrabaho behind the scenes. Mas gusto kong maging director na nasa likod ng camera. Mas gugustuhin kong maging anonymous writer sa likod ng isang best-selling book.

But alas, I was dragged out of my comfort zone. I found myself standing on the stage, just one or two meters away from the president. He was delivering a speech during the opening of the campus fair in the quadrangle while I was positioned like a decoration behind him. Everyone's attention was focused in my direction. Every smartphone and digital camera was pointing at us. This is making me so uncomfortable.

I would prefer being at the backstage or at the wings instead of the centerstage. There was comfort in being unseen, in being unheard. The spotlight was too blinding, too hot for me to manage.

"Today, we're opening our doors not only to the Elysian community, but also to everyone who wants to see what being an Elysian means. This is the perfect opportunity to flex what we've got in the present, and what we can accomplish in the future."

Many times during Priam's speech that I averted my gaze. Mabuti't hindi ako nahimatay sa sobrang pagiging uneasy. I did not want to ruin this moment for my president. Paniguradong mas pag-uusapan sa CampuSite ang pagkahimatay ko kaysa sa importanteng mensahe niya sa mga estudyante at bisita namin.

"I declare the 2021 Elysian University Campus Fair . . . open!" he said, followed by a warm round of applause. Tumalikod na siya sa mga nanonood at agad na nagtagpo ang tingin namin. We stepped down the stage and met with Lavinia and Sabrina at the foot. "Are you okay, Cas? Mukhang may sakit ka?"

"I'm just not used to this," I replied as I dragged my left leg. My limb felt a bit lighter now compared during the impeachment trial. The heavy burden was already lifted. "Not the event itself, but being on stage."

"You better get used to it," he said. "You will stand where Val used to stand. That's one of your duties as my VP."

"But that's not in the job description. That's not even in the Constitution," I complained. "My job is to assist you in leading the student body, preside over meetings of the LEXECOM, and—God forbid—succeed you in the event of your resignation, removal, or incapacity."

"Kaya dapat masanay ka na habang maaga," tugon niya sabay sulyap sa 'kin. "You could be the one standing before that lectern someday."

I stopped dead in my tracks, my eyes shooting daggers at him. He took a few more steps before noticing that I was no longer keeping up with his pace.

"You're joking, right? But if yes, that's not a good joke," I spat. "Let's be brutally honest here. I'm just a placeholder VP until the elections. Wait, you know what? I've got a better idea. Why don't I assume the vice presidency for a few weeks or until such time that you find a more suitable candidate?"