Chapter 1

The clock is ticking. Ticktock, ticktock—it sounds so loud that it seems to compete with the sound of my heart.

Everything has come to a standstill. Although the world around me doesn't seem to stop, even though my heart is about to burst. It's just lights, noise, and a small, incessant beeping that threatens to shatter my ear.

I knew she would die, I've known it for a while now. It's not exactly her death that has taken the wind out of me. It is not the fact that I have lost my mother after only 16 years of life.

But it is what she has revealed—what she has kept inside herself until the last second of her life.

Her bruised and weak fingers have not let go of my hand, not since those words left her whitish lips.

"Your father— your father is—"

The loud sound of someone's horn brings me back to the present. A distracted girl hasn't noticed a car coming and almost has an accident. The poor, frightened girl apologizes to the gentleman and runs to the university entrance.

I regulate my breathing, adjusting my thoughts. I look at the papers next to me. The photo I took just yesterday is sticking out of one of the folders.

Black hair, longer than I've ever worn it. A change for a new beginning. A purpose and a goal.

I look at myself in the car mirror one more time before putting dark glasses over my eyes. I look down at the little denim skirt that covers just enough and the gray t-shirt that reveals my shoulders.

I grab the papers and my small purse and walk towards the entrance. Without having entered before, but knowing well who I'm looking for.

The first day of college goes as any first day, the lines of new students with guides are the most noticeable, but the students of years continue to crowd with their old classmates, hoping to be together in some classes.

I search with my eyes, ignoring those who walk past me. I know my clothes are not appropriate, not for a college day at least, but precisely what I want is to be noticed.

Let them think what they want, I need them to think about what it is not.

I notice a brown guy right next to a staircase, he's talking to some other guys.

I don't let myself see them much, my eyes are on that brown guy.

His suitcase is a little open, but it doesn't look like he has anything in it anyway. A relaxed smile dances on his lips as he laughs with the other guys.

My footsteps don't stop for a second. I see the stairs and don't hesitate.

This could end very well or very badly, but that's something to analyze later.

I notice a distracted girl walking near them and quicken my pace. I collide with her, and I go sideways, colliding again with the brown guy.

I open my mouth as I feel myself falling down the stairs, but a strong arm holds me, preventing me from falling.

It went well then.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, watch out!" the guy's voice echoes in my ear. I listen as the girl apologizes, but when I straighten up, she's already gone. "Are you okay?"

I let out a single breath before lifting my hand and pulling my sunglasses away from my eyes.

"I'm so sorry!" My smile grows as I notice the guy's surprise at seeing my eyes.

My green contact lenses were an investment, buying ones that look real enough is already a big job, but adding the necessary degrees for my blindness to be fixed was another couple of zeros on the bill.