Chapter 24

We walked into the waiting room to find Ian asleep on the couch.

Oli and I roll our eyes.

"I can feel what you guys are doing." Ian's half-asleep voice makes us laugh.

The black-haired guy opens his eyes, looking at us, completely bored.

"Didn't you sleep last night?" the blond asks, walking over to the windows, opening them to air out the room.

The guy's eyes travel from my face to the tips of my shoes. He nods as if approving my outfit. I roll my eyes once more.

Oli turns to look at him, still waiting for the answer, but then keeps opening the windows when he sees Ian stretching.

Ian groans as he settles down on the couch.

"Someone didn't let me get much sleep." His voice sounds mocking.

I smack his head, hearing his mild complaint as I walk over to Oli, helping him open the windows.

"Isabeth?" asks Oli in confusion. Ian's growl at the mention of his mother's sister fills the room.

Oli turns to look at him, concern dancing in his blue eyes.

But before he has time to come up with anything, the door opens. Asher enters the classroom with his typical carefree air, his hair a little messy, as if he's been moving it around a lot. The slight blush in his ears might indicate that he's a little nervous.

My heart grows small at the sight of him. We haven't been able to talk since that day, and the few times we've crossed paths in the middle of class, we've only said a slight hello.

Asher greets Ian, lightly touching his hair, hugs Oli a little, and then approaches me.

He gives me a small smile before kissing my cheek. I smile back, squeezing his shoulder.

"Luna?" asks Asher looking at Oli. The blond explains the plan. The chestnut-haired guy walks over to Ian, lifts his legs, and then sits down.

Ian, not having the strength to explain to him that there are more seats available, just sits back down, closing his eyes once again.

I adjust my glasses on my nose, looking away from the computer to see the message in the group chat. I smile at the pictures Luna had a waiter take of us.

Luna appears to be scolding the guys in the first five, Oli the only one who just smiles, as if he's already well-trained in the photo thing. I laugh at that. Thinking about their relationship. Wondering if anything would change between them when everything...

I shake my head from side to side, pushing the thought out of my head.

My heart grows small as I look into Ian's eyes, eyes that, in no picture, never stop looking at me.

I sigh, dropping my phone.

I close the window where I was reading the governor's schedule for this weekend. I enter the little green icon, an application that connects directly to the computer the governor had in the conference room. I paid good money to get this connection open enough to keep it stable with that computer and anyone connected to it.

It took a little over a week to have all the proof of the funds mobilized to external accounts, accounts that were clearly not accepted by the governor's assembly.

Some images of people connected to the transaction are already stored in folders saved in at least 17 usb keys, hidden all over the house.

I read the numerous folders over and over again to make sure I don't overlook anything.

I stop breathing when I see a new one. I looked for information about it, only to realize that it was created not more than a couple of seconds ago. I despair at not being able to open it, thinking of a thousand and one reasons why the governor would create a new folder in the same place where he keeps all his illegal information, with his son's name on it.

I get into my car after sending a message requesting access to that folder. After receiving the response I expected, I put my phone in my purse.

I tuck the small jacket of the same color as my pants over my white top before starting the car.

I look at the time on my phone; it's almost nine o'clock at night. The light rain has caused people to take shelter in the restaurants and bars in the area.

I take a sip of my iced tea, thanking the girl who has brought me some wontons soup, returning my gaze to the window in front of me.

I stand still as I recognize the black car. An umbrella of the same color appears as the driver gets out of the car, opening the back door, escorting the governor.

It would be impossible to recognize them, as it is not the official car of his post, but one that is stored at Oli's house, so hidden that no one could relate it to the family.

Anyone paying attention might think it's just a rich gentleman wanting to get into a decent hotel, ignoring it on the spot. But my eyes don't leave the governor's body when he doesn't actually enter the hotel but walks into the alley next door. Where, someone dressed completely in black is already there, waiting.

I smile, playing with the straw near my lips.

I glance at the clock on my little watch, realizing I lost a bet on how long it would take the governor to act on the little threat received.

A picture, a picture of him buying drugs a few decades ago is abominable enough for his perfect image that it took him less than thirty minutes to react.

How would you react to everything else?

When your whole world fall apart?

Damn, I need to see that expression.

I lower my glass, just as I watch as the governor passes a black pocket to the guy in black, and the guy in black hands him an usb key, a few words are exchanged. The typical "it's the only copy available blah blah blah blah".

The governor walks to his car. I see him with a slightly tense jaw. Despite the rain and the remoteness, it's like I can feel his discomfort.

" Done."

The sound of the message notification is like music to my ears.

My response is quick.

"You can keep the money."

Sophia's Outfit