Chapter 15

Only the strong air conditioning in the small museum has kept the sweat from soaking my clothes.

Professor Garcia asked me to arrive at 8:30 to help mobilize the sculptures. It's almost 10 a.m., but the time has gone by so fast, helping the nervous students place their sculptures in the selected location, putting up the little signs with all the explanations of their process, and getting ready with their little speeches once they have spectators.

I look at the little attendee badge they gave me and smile.

The doors are about to open to the public, so I go from side to side, trying to calm the students and calm down Professor Garcia who looks closer to fainting.

"Soph! Can you help me?" I approach a dark-skinned guy. I am surprised by his height. The white sneakers I decided to wear at the last minute have no platform at all, but I would still need the height of two of my big heels to be at his height.

Beautiful—there's no other way to describe the guy.

"Tell me." I approach him, trying not to be intimidated by his presence.

But my eyes sparkle when I see the sculpture next to him.

The face in agony.

"Professor Garcia just dropped the bombshell on me that I was one of those selected for the senior contest," the guy says, touching his neck as a gesture of stress.

"Congratulations." are the words that come out of my mouth, barely a whisper.

Of course, his sculpture would be selected; he should be given the award now.

"Thank you so much," he looks at me shyly. "I've prepared a little speech; would you mind listening to it and giving me your opinion?" My mouth opens in surprise.

The guy who made such a great sculpture—a sculpture that makes you feel so much—does he need someone to listen to his speech?

"I would be honored."

"Soph!" I stop my steps and turn everywhere until I see Professor Garcia's small hand.

I see the water bottles in my hands.

"Excuse me, can you take these to the guys at the end of that hallway?" the girl in black with the same assistant badge nods, taking the bottles from my hands and walking quickly to where I point her.

I sigh a little, making sure my crop top is in place before walking towards the teacher.

"Oh, Soph, I know it's been crazy; I really appreciate your work today." the teacher waves goodbye to one of the gentlemen and smiles at me.

She takes my hand, and I squeeze it affectionately.

"The one to thank here is me; the exhibition has been amazing." I say, her smile fills my soul.

"Although, now comes the most stressful part, the presentations and speeches of the selected students— " the teacher sighs, wiping the little sweat from her forehead. "It's already late; we'll close the museum for forty-five minutes. Go get something to eat. I need you energized for the last part. If everything goes well, we'll be out before three in the afternoon."

I nod, looking at my little brown watch.

"Okay, I'll come get you when I'm done. " The teacher waves her hand up and down by way of farewell.

My cell phone vibrates, and I pull it out of my brown pants pocket. I walk out the back door of the museum, smiling at Asher, who raises his hand to call me.